Newsreaders for MS-Windows

Eric R. Hugo E_HUGO at dsu1.dsu.nodak.edu
Fri Mar 25 07:18:32 EST 1994

In article <2mui55$a99 at news.belwue.de> andreas at orion.mgen.uni-heidelberg.de (Andreas Helke) writes:
>From: andreas at orion.mgen.uni-heidelberg.de (Andreas Helke)
>Subject: Re: Newsreaders for MS-Windows
>Date: 25 Mar 1994 11:32:53 GMT

>If the trumpet or wintrumpet newsreader is the best what is available
>for DOS/Windows then the state of the art of newsreaders for DOS is
>severely lacking. I used these two when starting to read news on my PC
>before that I used rn on a Convex. Compared to rn trumpet newsreader
>where not bad. But as soon as I managed to get tin running on Linux
>I switched to tin and never looked back. TIN is available for unix
>systems and for OS/2.
>Trumpet is not a threaded newsreader and saving multiple part binary
>postings is extremely awkward.

>Andreas

The most recent release of Trumpet for Windows (version B) does allow for
threads and will uudecode some messages.  This is a great improvement over
version A.  Saving multiple posts to a separate file is still cumbersome
however.  On UNIX boxes I still prefer nn.
My $0.02 worth
                                                Eric
e_hugo at dsu1.dsu.nodak.edu\ | | \\  // | | //  \\ | | \\  // | | //  \\ | |
Asst. Professor, Biology  \\ | :,\\': | //      \\ | :,\\': | //      \\ |
Dickinson State University  \\ //  \\ //          \\ //  \\ //          \\
Dickinson, ND  58601    |finger eric at bcserv.wustl.edu for public key