Newsreaders for MS-Windows

Andreas Helke andreas at
Fri Mar 25 06:32:53 EST 1994

Floeckner Hannes (floeckn at wrote:

: In article <parsons_a.19.000EBC77 at>, parsons_a at (Dr. Tony Parsons) writes:
 |>Anyone know of a good THREADED newsreader for a 486 running Windows 3.1?
: |>
: |>Thanks,
: |>
: |>Tony P.
: |>
: |>parsons_a at
: |>
: |>

: Try "TRUMPET" which is free available at In my opinion
: one of the best news-readers for windows.
: (don't forget to get a version of "winsock.dll" too)

If the trumpet or wintrumpet newsreader is the best what is available
for DOS/Windows then the state of the art of newsreaders for DOS is
severely lacking. I used these two when starting to read news on my PC
before that I used rn on a Convex. Compared to rn trumpet newsreader
where not bad. But as soon as I managed to get tin running on Linux
I switched to tin and never looked back. TIN is available for unix
systems and for OS/2.
Trumpet is not a threaded newsreader and saving multiple part binary
postings is extremely awkward.

Andreas Helke

Institut fuer molekulare Genetik, Universitaet Heidelberg
Im Neuenheimer Feld 230
69122 Heidelberg