** SUMMARY: Microsoft Word -> PICT **

Helge Weissig helgew at LJCRF.EDU
Sun Mar 27 04:45:21 EST 1994

Hi netters,

here is the summary of response I got so far, thanks to all who wrote.

Meanwhile, I found the solution: Print2Pict
I found it in the merit MacIntosh archive, which is obviously momentarily
under construction. The gopher hole gopher://gopher.archive.merit.edu has
some mirror sites though, that work.

This little chooser extension allows virtually every file to be printed to
a pict file. I include some of the README file at the end.

Oh... and just for the records: I was talking MacIntrash, always have,
always will! :))

cheers,
helge

=46rom: Antonio Guia <guia at CC.UManitoba.CA> wrote:

Would that be Word-for-Windows?   If so, then select a postscript printer,
and instead of printing to a real printer, print to a postscript file.
You can then import that file to any program which can read poscript files.

If it's Word-for-DOS then it gets a little more complicated:
If your graphics package is capable of reading PCL language, then print to
an HP Lazerjet printer but direct to file.  If worse comes to worse, and
all you need is a raster file (.tif or .pcx format) then you can get any
print-capture program available (such as DOS fax grabbers).

> I even tried screen shots, but that is a lot of work, and you have to

pretty bad resolution.

BACHNER at ARTHUR.CITI2.FR (LUCIEN BACHNER-LABORATOIRE DE BIOCHIMIE
GENETIQUE-) wrote:

What would you think of copying-pasting in MacDraw and saving as Pict?
Lucien

Basavaraju Shankarappa <bsh at med.pitt.edu> wrote:

Hi Helge:
        Why don't you print the file into a postscript file?
There is an option in your print command menu to
print to o printer       o postscript file..
Let me know if it works.
Raj
bsh at med.pitt.edu

--->
ok... I did that, and of course I did not follow the PostScript Converter
threat, so I don't know, what to do with it. Canvas will open it, but all I
get is a tiny (TINY!!!) little box with file information... and saving it
as PICT format gives me an even bigger file, but the same picture.

chlamy at acpub.duke.edu (Elizabeth Harris) wrote:

Can't you just copy it from MS Word under Multifinder, then switch to
Canvas and paste it in?  Then save the Canvas figure in PICT format.  I
haven't been using Canvas lately, but I think I've done this in the past
without problems.  I used to use Superpaint, and I know I could do it with
that.

Elizabeth Harris
chlamy at acpub.duke.edu

--->

unfortunately, Canvas converts the clipboard to text then.. plain text.

from the Print2Pict Readme application:

This is version 3.5 of Print2Pict. It is a printer driver
that previews and saves printed pages to PICT files or
the clipboard. It works only under System 7 or later.
Drop it in your extensions folder and select it with the
Chooser.
It has an on-line help you can copy to the clipboard and
print using any word processor. It also supports Balloon
Help.
Description
The PICT file format is the standard format for saving
pictures on a Macintosh. Most of the graphical applica-
tions can read these files.
If you copy a page to the clipboard, it can be paste into
any document that can include pictures.
You can use Print2Pict with any application that prints
using the standard Macintosh interface.
[stuff deleted]
The Print2Pict extensions
Print to Paint: The pages are saved in the MacPaint=81
format.
Print to PICS: The pages are saved as the frames of a
PICS movie.
Text file: The text is extracted from the pages and
saved in a text file.
PostCard: The pages are saved into a standalone ap-
plication. You can edit a complex document with a
DTP software, and then "print" it as a "PostCard". This
postcard can then be sent to anyone, who can read it
and print it without the DTP software.
This text was edited with a famous word processor,
then "printed" with Print2Pict with the PostCard
extension to produce this standalone document.
Print to Scrap: Saves the pages in a ScrapBook file.
Remote: Sends pictures to remote applications.
Pixmap PICT: Creates raster PICTs.

Print to Quicktime=81: Written by Nigel Perry  this
extension is available via anonymous ftp from the best
archive sites.
[stuff deleted]

Helge WEISSIG                              e-mail: helgew at ljcrf.edu
La Jolla Cancer Research Foundation        phone: (619) 455 6480 x253
10901 N. Torrey Pines Rd.                  FAX: (619) 455 0181
La Jolla, CA 92037                         http://192.231.106.66
U.S.A.

     God invented surfing, so that the really talented people
     would not rule the world. - unknown