** SUMMARY: Microsoft Word -> PICT **

Helge Weissig helgew at LJCRF.EDU
Sun Mar 27 04:45:21 EST 1994

Hi netters,

here is the summary of response I got so far, thanks to all who wrote.

Meanwhile, I found the solution: Print2Pict
I found it in the merit MacIntosh archive, which is obviously momentarily
under construction. The gopher hole gopher://gopher.archive.merit.edu has
some mirror sites though, that work.

This little chooser extension allows virtually every file to be printed to
a pict file. I include some of the README file at the end.

Oh... and just for the records: I was talking MacIntrash, always have,
always will! :))

=46rom: Antonio Guia <guia at CC.UManitoba.CA> wrote:

Would that be Word-for-Windows?   If so, then select a postscript printer,
and instead of printing to a real printer, print to a postscript file.
You can then import that file to any program which can read poscript files.

If it's Word-for-DOS then it gets a little more complicated:
If your graphics package is capable of reading PCL language, then print to
an HP Lazerjet printer but direct to file.  If worse comes to worse, and
all you need is a raster file (.tif or .pcx format) then you can get any
print-capture program available (such as DOS fax grabbers).

> I even tried screen shots, but that is a lot of work, and you have to

pretty bad resolution.

GENETIQUE-) wrote:

What would you think of copying-pasting in MacDraw and saving as Pict?

Basavaraju Shankarappa <bsh at med.pitt.edu> wrote:

Hi Helge:
        Why don't you print the file into a postscript file?
There is an option in your print command menu to
print to o printer       o postscript file..
Let me know if it works.
bsh at med.pitt.edu

ok... I did that, and of course I did not follow the PostScript Converter
threat, so I don't know, what to do with it. Canvas will open it, but all I
get is a tiny (TINY!!!) little box with file information... and saving it
as PICT format gives me an even bigger file, but the same picture.

chlamy at acpub.duke.edu (Elizabeth Harris) wrote:

Can't you just copy it from MS Word under Multifinder, then switch to
Canvas and paste it in?  Then save the Canvas figure in PICT format.  I
haven't been using Canvas lately, but I think I've done this in the past
without problems.  I used to use Superpaint, and I know I could do it with

Elizabeth Harris
chlamy at acpub.duke.edu

unfortunately, Canvas converts the clipboard to text then.. plain text.

from the Print2Pict Readme application:

This is version 3.5 of Print2Pict. It is a printer driver
that previews and saves printed pages to PICT files or
the clipboard. It works only under System 7 or later.
Drop it in your extensions folder and select it with the
It has an on-line help you can copy to the clipboard and
print using any word processor. It also supports Balloon
The PICT file format is the standard format for saving
pictures on a Macintosh. Most of the graphical applica-
tions can read these files.
If you copy a page to the clipboard, it can be paste into
any document that can include pictures.
You can use Print2Pict with any application that prints
using the standard Macintosh interface.
[stuff deleted]
The Print2Pict extensions
Print to Paint: The pages are saved in the MacPaint=81
Print to PICS: The pages are saved as the frames of a
PICS movie.
Text file: The text is extracted from the pages and
saved in a text file.
PostCard: The pages are saved into a standalone ap-
plication. You can edit a complex document with a
DTP software, and then "print" it as a "PostCard". This
postcard can then be sent to anyone, who can read it
and print it without the DTP software.
This text was edited with a famous word processor,
then "printed" with Print2Pict with the PostCard
extension to produce this standalone document.
Print to Scrap: Saves the pages in a ScrapBook file.
Remote: Sends pictures to remote applications.
Pixmap PICT: Creates raster PICTs.

Print to Quicktime=81: Written by Nigel Perry  this
extension is available via anonymous ftp from the best
archive sites.
[stuff deleted]

Helge WEISSIG                              e-mail: helgew at ljcrf.edu
La Jolla Cancer Research Foundation        phone: (619) 455 6480 x253
10901 N. Torrey Pines Rd.                  FAX: (619) 455 0181
La Jolla, CA 92037

     God invented surfing, so that the really talented people
     would not rule the world. - unknown