Mac LC 475 vs Centris 610 vs PowerMac

Mike myirwin at uci.edu
Mon Mar 28 11:52:04 EST 1994

> I am interested in upgrading our computers in the lab.  We are looking to
> buy either a Mac LC 475 with Ethernet card, Centris 610 or PowerMac 6100.
> The PowerMac 6100 is slightly more expensive.
> We are a molecular biology lab and want to run the following programs:
>
>     Paup 3.1.1
>     MacClade
>     ABI SeqEd
>     Aldus Photoshop
>     MacVector
>     Microsoft Excel
>
> Will the PowerMac run these programs in emulation mode?  And, if yes, will
> it run quicker than the regular Mac with the Motorola chip?

1st: The 6100 will run all of these programs if they currently run on any
040 machine. Older programs that conflict with system 7 or the 040 cache
protocols will obviously still conflict with the powermac. Speeds for the
powermac in emulation will vary between a fast 030 (IIci) and an 040
(Quadra).

2nd: The powermacs are running under LC68040 emulation rather than MC68040
emulation, meaning that they probably will not run programs that strictly
require floating point math. None of your programs seem to have this
requirement but it's a consideration for future usefulness.

3rd: The LC474 and discontinued Centris 610 have LC040s without floating
point enabled so you'll have the above restriction anyway. The Centris has
been replaced by the 25MHz Quadra 610 which has an active FPU in all but
the base configuration. This computer is in the same price range as the
Centris was although many people are offering deep discounts on the Centris
now.

4th: The built-in ethernet devices on the Centris and Quadra machine will
still require an adapter depending on the flavor of Ethernet your network
uses...about $100 to add to your total cost.

5th: I'd put my money on a Quadra 610 with MC040 considering the current
and foreseeable needs of the aforementioned programs.