Papyrus vs NoteBook?

Dave Harry deh at s27w007.pswfs.gov
Thu Mar 31 16:31:30 EST 1994

Greetings all,
   For many years I've used NoteBook to manage my personal bibliographic
database.  This program, by Pro/Tem, has recently been upgraded to
NoteBuilder.  IMHO, the upgrade isn't worth it, and I've decided to switch
back to the older NoteBook.  Unfortunately, NoteBook is not without it's
own set of problems (bugs, and now somewhat antiquated).  I tried EndNote,
and this didn't cut it for me either because it's designed to be more of a
writer's tool than a reference manager per se.  I also tried Reference
Manager (but long ago) and didn't find it enticing enough to switch at the
time.
   The recent discussions of Papyrus (and earlier ones elsewhere) make it
sound promising.  Has anyone out there had experience with both NoteBook
and Papyrus and care to contrast them?  If Papyrus' features seem compelling
by comparison to NoteBook's, then another question for me is conversion.
How are Papyrus' import features?  NoteBook's export capability is
generously flexible, and so I suspect I could do whatever was necessary.

Thanks in advance for any input.

David Harry                       Institute of Forest Genetics
deh at s27w007.pswfs.gov             USDA Forest Service, Pacific SW Station
Phone:  510/559-6439              PO Box 245
FAX:    510/559-6499              Berkeley, CA 94701