mac drawing (mixed text and boxes problem)

Mark Mark
Thu Mar 24 21:57:00 EST 1994

In article <1994Mar23.180814.1793 at news.gdb.org> cporter at indy.gdb.org (Chris Porter) writes:
>[I don't know who wrote this because I don't have the original yet...]
>
>>> Having used Mac Draw II, Mac Draw Pro, Claris Works (versions 1&2)
>>> Claris Impact and Cricket Draw (version 2), all these programs seem to
>>> give the same result, i.e. that a drawn object aligned with some
>>> characters on the screen does not print in the same relative position,
>>

>I've often found that when using MacDraw, doing the allignments at a
>higher magnification (800 or 1600%) means the printed result more precisely
>matches what is seen on screen (at the high resolution). Some things
>seem to be shifted to some degree when viewing at 100%, so it may look
>wrong when you're viewing the full page. I don't know whether this will
>work with your problem, but it may be worth a try...
>
>Chris

We have found problem with presenting aligned biological sequences
eg DNA or protein sequences and then try to box regions of homology
This occurs in most of the mac porgrams you cite. We have found that
SuperPaint does a better doing these type of things. It's not always
perfect but is better than others. The drawback is that SuperPaint is
harder to use than these other programs.
Mark Smith
Dept Biochemistry
University of Sydney
Sydney, Austrailia