non-specific primers for human genomic seq

Laurent Duret duret at evoserv.univ-lyon1.fr
Mon May 2 01:34:38 EST 1994

In article kgj at csi0.csi.uottawa.ca, sbaird at mgcheo.med.uottawa.ca (Stephen Baird) writes:
> I'm looking for ideas or references on non-specific primers to
> amplify human genomic sequences. I'd like to amplify small pieces
> (around 200-500bp) preferably without repetitive elements and
> preferentially amplify human sequences over any contaminating
> sequence from bacteria. When doing database searches with small
> pieces of human genomic sequence like 100-150bp, more often than
> not the top scores are all human sequences even if the scores are
> very low.

Just be careful. Human sequences represent about 20% of all GenBank sequences, while
E. coli sequences represent only 3%.
So, even with a random sequence, you may expect that similarity search programs will
find a human sequence much more often than one from any other species.

However, this does not exclude the possibility of species-specific sequences.

Laurent Duret