software for codon usage

plxigpg at plxigpg at
Wed May 11 05:44:34 EST 1994

Charles wrote:
>I wish to design a gene, to be constructed synthetically,
>about 750 bp long. I would like the design to incorporate
>codon usage optimal for E. coli, and also to include

You might want to try the BACKTRANSLATE program in GCG at darsebury
it will backtranslate a protein sequence into a nucleotide sequence
based on a codon usage table - I'm sure they will have an E.coli
codon usage table there - if not then its easy to make your own -
just read the instructions in the help files.

Hope this helps.

Ian Goodfellow

Plxigpg at