ANNOUNCEMENT : TREECON 3.0 for comfortable phylogeny !

Mark Siddall mes at
Tue May 24 01:30:21 EST 1994

In article <schwarze-210594022958 at> schwarze at (Erich Schwarz) writes:
>In article <2pl73q$j09 at>,
>rensing at (Stefan Rensing) wrote:
>> To everyone who is concerned with construction of phylogenetic trees.
>> I'm doing this announcement as 'beta-tester' of TREECON.
>> TREECON was developed by Yves Van de Peer, University of Antwerp.
>> TREECON 3.0 is a program package for the construction of phylogenetic
>> trees....
>> A disadvantage is that no parsimony or maximum likelihood methods are
>                         ^^ ^^^^^^^^^
>> to be run with TREECON.
>    Boooo! <throws spoiled fruit>          ;^)

I agreee with Erich here.  If it doesn't do parsimony, it must be
distance-based.  If it's distance based, it's phenetic.  If it's
phenetic it's not phylogenetic.
It's hard to believe this still has to be said after all of these years!

Mark E. Siddall            "In saying what is obvious, never choose cunning.
mes at                    Yelling works better."     - C. Ozick
Virginia Inst. Marine Sci.
Gloucester Point, VA, 23062