Free Protein Visualization Software for SGI or Sun?

Mark Israel misrael at
Tue May 24 17:05:25 EST 1994

In article <CqBCMy.GLo at>, Sam Barnett <salbarne at> writes:

> I am looking for a public domain program for displaying protein
> structures on either an SGI or Sun workstation.  Any help would be
> greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

   Get XtalView!  It's not public domain, but it's free to academic
users (and you can get the source code, if you sign an agreement).
It runs on *both* the SGI *and* the SUN.  It can use generic
X-Windows, so it should run on *any* X-windows workstation (RS/6000,
DEC, Stellar, LINUX...), but it can also use SGI's GL as a graphics
accelerator.  And it's specifically designed for visualizing

   It's available by anonymous ftp from CCMS at the San Diego Super
Computer Center (and they also provide phone support -- the first
official telephone support I've *ever* heard of for a free program!).
Send e-mail to ccms-request at with a blank subject and the
line "get xtalview".  Instructions will be return mailed.

   If for some reason XtalView doesn't meet your requirements, let
me know; there are some other programs I could mention.  But with
the enhancements that I expect will shortly be added to it, I really
think XtalView is going to leave the competition behind.

misrael at			Mark Israel