Gerard Kleijwegt gerard at
Wed May 25 16:03:54 EST 1994

<2rvkoj$4d7 at>, mjones at (Dr. M.D. Jones) writes:
|> Hi netters
|> We have just started a project on site-directed mutagenesis of a protein.
|> We have the three dimensional crystal structure, and here at the RPMS we
|> have RasMol and XMol progs to look at the structure.
|> However, we would like to be able to produce models and figures, like the ones
|> that adorne the pages of nature [e.g. Nature, vol. 368, 215-221 (1994)]
|> They use molscript, O, ChemDraw, Ribbons and MS progs
|> I guess that ChemDraw is a commercial package.
|> The others (Molscript, Ribbons, O and MS) are they available ?
|> from where ?  How (ftp ?) ?  How much ?  What hardware is required ?
|> Any answers and comments will be gratefully accepted.
|> Thanks
|> Mick Jones

MolScript comes with source code and should therefore compile
on most Unix boxes.  The author is Per Kraulis, e-mail
pjk at  I think the program is (almost) free.

O is probably overkill if you just want to generate pictures;
it is mainly intended for macromolecular model building
(using X-ray data).  The author is Alwyn Jones, e-mail
alwyn at  An O license costs US$ 250 for