transcription element database

Edgar Wingender ewi at
Thu Nov 3 12:06:29 EST 1994

In article <1994Nov3.102010.6681 at> (Przemko) <S=przemko;OU=reks;OU=uia;O=ac;P=be>

|In article <samols.43.2EB71D64 at> samols at biochemistry.cwru.
|edu (David Samols) writes:
|>We are looking for a on-line database where we can search binding motifs of
|>transcription factors for our promoter sequence.  Can anyone suggest such a
|>server to which we can send our sequence?
|We would be also very interested. Indeed, a kind of PROSITE but
|for transcription factors would be great. Something that would
|look at my DNA sequence and propose some binding site for
|transcriptional factors...

I recently announced our database TRANSFAC which also includes a set
of consensus sites in its SITES table, mainly based upon the
Faisst & Meyer compilation in NAR 20, 3-26 (1992). The consensus
sites can be identified through their ID (<factor name>$cons) or
by the word "consensus" in the description field (DE).
Try the ftp site (IP

Hope this helps.

Edgar Wingender.

       _/_/_/_/  _/                _/      	Dr. Edgar Wingender
     _/          _/      _/      _/        	GBF - Dept. of Genome Analysis
   _/_/_/        _/   _/ _/   _/		Mascheroder Weg 1
 _/              _/ _/   _/ _/			D-38124 Braunschweig

e-mail	ewi at	tel +49-531-6181-427
						fax +49-531-6181-202