Mac or PC ?

William R. Pearson wrp at
Fri Nov 25 11:57:27 EST 1994

In article <3aq55b$qs5 at>,
Tim Cutts <tjrc1 at> wrote:
>dehais at (Patrice DEHAIS) writes:
>>It s just for an opinion poll.
>>I work in a laboratory specialized in genetics. We have to change all
>>our old personal computers (old PC running DOS) and buy new machines.
>>Now with Windows, the two environments are both user friendly. But
>>today, is there more good useful software in genetics for PC/Windows or
>>for Mac ? And what about tomorrow ?
/* much deleted */
>I think the PC is also superior for connectivity.  Networking
>macintoshes is expensive, unless you buy an expensive macintosh with
>built-in ethernet.  If you will need to connect to remote hosts (for
>example, my groups use an SGI machine running the Staden and GCG
>packages), the PC stands out.  I can use my PC as a dedicated
>X-terminal to the remote machine.  My fellow lab workers on their
>macintoshes cannot.  There are X servers for Macs, but they are
>supposed to be awful.  After all, X requires three mouse buttons, so
>you're onto a loser from the word go...

I would say just the opposite.  Networking hardware and software is
built into the Mac - getting the same functionality with DOS/Windows
is very difficult and prone to break.  If you want to run Mosaic
clients, Xwindows, Nentrez, while running programs from a network and
moving files back and forth, the Mac is the way to go.  No interrupt
conflicts, no running out of sockets, etc etc.  Our local computer
center can get a Mac networked and running the common network programs
in a matter of minutes over the phone.  With DOS/Windows, someone must
physically load and configure software drivers, check other boards,
reconfigure NET.CFG, etc, etc.  There is no comparison.

I spend >8 hours a day running MacX (and Nentrez, Fetch, etc.) and I
have been completely satisfied. (I bought a 3-button mouse, big deal.)
I can even change the resolution of my monitor on the fly for extra
large (or small) windows.  For networking, the Mac cannot be beat.

Bill Pearson

wrp at virginia.EDU
Dept. of Biochemistry #440
U. of Virginia