Remember the data... Re: Can XXXXXX replace YYY package? Or almost??

Reinhard Doelz doelz at
Thu Oct 6 05:56:08 EST 1994

Xiaomu Niu (xniu at wrote:

: 	But here is the question: (sorry for the long introduction)
: Can XXXXXX replace YYY completely or nearly? What about speed? It
: seems we have people here running XXXXXX on a Mac SE with a CD-ROM
: happily. If we understand right, ZZZ covers most of YYY's functions,
: and it's available for free.

Without getting involved in judging user interface and affodability,
keep in mind that a central installation ought to provide up-to-date
data in its literal meaning (weekly, for example). You will possibly
have a hard time to get this into PC/Mac based products. Sure you can
paint your restriction maps as nice as you want with any software, but
as soon as external data sets (databases) are involved a centralized,
up-to-date facility is unaviodable. And, Training is usually cheaper
as better resources (including the net) will cope. Last, complexity
and continuity are items which have a high rating in customer's view,
so be careful in moving to another technology unless you made sure that
people can move their data, results, and procedures easily.

Reinhard Doelz

 R.Doelz         Klingelbergstr.70| Tel. x41 61 267 2247  Fax x41 61 267 2078|
 Biocomputing        CH 4056 Basel| electronic Mail    doelz at|
 Biozentrum der Universitaet Basel|-------------- Switzerland ---------------|