WWW Introduction for Biologists

Florian Eggenberger eggenber at comp.bioz.unibas.ch
Mon Sep 5 06:29:15 EST 1994

Biocomputing, Basel University
Teleteaching 1994,  2nd Course

ANNOUNCEMENT: WWW INTRODUCTION
==============================

This is an announcement of a series of postings starting October 10, 1994,
on  the  newsgroup bionet.software.www in order to provide an introduction
to  the  WorldWideWeb (WWW) project. The goal is to  answer the very basic
questions as what is the World-Wide Web, what is availble on the Web, what
software  is  required  to  access the Web, and how to get and install the
software. It is, in this course, not intended to guide people  who want to
provide information to the Web. A separate course/topic  discussion  early
next year will be targeted to information providers, however,this requires
that the client software is properly preinstalled, as the Web will be used
for explanations. Details on that series will be announced in early  1995.

The  postings  of this second  teleteaching '94 project "WWW introduction"
are aimed to biologists who have access to the Internet and are interested
in obtaining and setting up the programs needed to access the Web.Previous
experience with network retrieval tools are not essential but knowledge in
the use of FTP is advantageous.

Anyone who is interested in receiving these introductionary  postings  but
cannot read the newsgroup bionet.software.www can subscribe  to the BIOSCI
email service as described in the appendix.

The  newsgroup  bionet.software.www  is also accessible in a marked-up ar-
chive   at

which might be of interest to those who did  already successfully implement
a suitable browser.

This  WWW  introduction  course will be based on the updated version of the
WWW introduction teleteaching project which was contributed by our  site by
myself in January 1994.

Florian Eggenberger
EMBnet Switzerland

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
----------------

EMBnet  Switzerland  is  a  project funded by the University of Basel, the
Swiss  National  Science Foundation, and industrial contributions from Di-
gital Equipment and Silicon Graphics (in alphabetical order).  Information
on services for Switzerland available by email from: info at ch.embnet.org

APPENDIX
-=-=-=-=

The BIO-WWW/bionet.software.www Newsgroup

Availability on the network (specifically, World Wide Web):

   bionet.software.www is archived, as all  bionet  newgroups, at the
   net.bio.net FTP site, and  available  to  be  used  like any other
   bionet newsgroup (see explanations below). The bionet.software.www
   newsgroup, additionally, keys contributions in 'html' documents so
   that links are readily resolved in the 'hypertext' system, and may
   point to the contribution of the originator, or the subject of the
   message,  respectively. This server runs at the Biocomputing Faci-
   lity of Basel University. The following is the

   To access the information provided by this and remote WWW sites you
   need  a  program (called WWW client or browser) that allows to com-
   municate  with the remote WWW server. The browser may either be lo-
   cally  installed  or on a remote computer. If you are directly con-
   nected to the  Internet  it  is  recommended  to install the client
   software locally.The disadvantage of accessing the Web by a remote-
   ly  running  client is a lack of full functionality and poorer per-
   formance.

Subscribing to the bionet.software.www group:
in rn-like newsreaders.

IF YOU ARE LOCATED IN EUROPE, AFRICA, OR CENTRAL ASIA:
please send the word

help

in the body of your message to MXT at dl.ac.uk to retrieve general server usage
instructions. To subscribe to the BIO-WWW list, first be sure that you are
sending mail from the address at which you wish to receive news postings,
and then send the command

SUB bionet-news.bionet.software.www

to MXT at dl.ac.uk. This message will be automatically read by the computer and
your e-mail address will be extracted from the mail header and added to the
list.

IF YOU ARE LOCATED IN THE AMERICAS OR THE PACIFIC RIM:
log in to the computer account in which you would like to receive mail
(not an account that you use infrequently) and send a mail message to the
Internet address

biosci-server at net.bio.net

Leave the Subject: line of the message blank and enter the following line
into the body of the mail message:

subscribe bio-www

This message will be automatically read by our computer and your e-mail address
will be extracted from the mail header and added to the list.

Canceling your subscription:
****************************

IF YOU ARE LOCATED IN EUROPE, AFRICA, OR CENTRAL ASIA: first be
sure that you are sending mail from the address at which you signed up to
receive news postings, and then send the command (in the body of your mail
message)

UNSUB bionet-news.bionet.software.www

to MXT at dl.ac.uk. This message will be automatically read by the computer and
your e-mail address will be extracted from the mail header and removed from the
list.

IF YOU ARE LOCATED IN THE AMERICAS OR THE PACIFIC RIM: send a
message to biosci-server at net.bio.net exactly as described above for subscribing
except include the text

unsubscribe bio-www

in the body of the message. Please be sure to send the message from the account
whose address matches the one on the list. If your address differs, we will
be notified automatically and will remove you manually from the list if we
can determine what was your old address. Please contact
biosci-help at net.bio.net if you have problems.

--
|  F. Eggenberger, Ph.D.       |  eggenber at comp.bioz.unibas.ch  |