MacTCP and connecting - please help.

Lawrence P. Casson lpcasson at phoenix.princeton.edu
Wed Sep 14 19:34:26 EST 1994

In article <Cw38u3.I4w at zoo.toronto.edu>, mes at zoo.toronto.edu (Mark
Siddall) wrote:

> Hi,
> Gotta problem.
> I'm new to Macs but have one in my office now and must use it.
> I have Mac TCP 1.1.1 on it and I can make connection to the local
> server and use such things as Eudora and so forth.  I want to use
> Mosaic and Fetch for connection to servers elsewhere but can't seem to do it!
> Is this because I do not have direct connection to the net?
> Do I need to do something in the Mac TCP menu as far as network numbers are
> concerned?
> Can anyone help?
>
> Mark

1)  My understanding is that Mosaic requires MacTCP2.0.2 or higher.  With
any luck, your Institute has a site license for 2.0.2 and you can get it
from whatever department supports your Internet connections.  Distribution
of MacTCP has been a fiasco since Apple can't decide whether to charge for
it or include it as part of the OS, but there are other ways to obtain it.
One is a book by Adam Engst called The Internet Starter Kit.  I believe
you can get it discounted for a reasonable price, and it contains assorted
software which includes MacTCP2.0.2 or higher.
It is also possible to get MacTCP on the net, although not from Apple.  It
is distributed as part of at least one software package.  Try
ftp.starnine.com in /pub/updates/pt-inet/mail_link_ptinet.sea.hqx. but
beware that the file is 1.2Mb in size.
Finally, Mac users around here who have recently purchased PowerMacs have
started to receive System 7.5, which includes MacTCP2.0.4.

2)  MacTCP must be properly configured to get IP addresses from your local
nameserver.  The question of proper configuration is often discussed in
comp.sys.mac.comm and it is apparent that most people do not fully
understand the workings of MacTCP (including myself and many network
people).  However, there have been lucid descriptions of what to enter
into the Domain Name Server Information box for Macs on an ethernet.  I
don't know anythig about Macs on an AppleTalk net with a router.  For
ethernet:

        .domain.edu            xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx            o
        .                      xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
        .                      yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy

The first entry is the default nameserver.  As I understand it,
.domain.edu is appended onto anything you enter into a connection dialog
box.  For example, using Telnet, if the machine "calvin" is in your
domain, you can simply type calvin, and MacTCP will tell the nameserver to
look up calvin.domain.edu.  If the default fails, MacTCP will move on to
the next item in the list.  Complete domain names would cause MacTCP to
use the second entry in the list as the nameserver, which is the same
machine as the first entry, but in this case, MacTCP appends nothing to
the name (Notice the ".").  Finally, a third entry in the list might be an
alternate nameserver for your domain that gets used when you can't reach
the primary one.  I hope this is useful.

-Larry
lpcasson at phoenix.princeton.edu

--
Lawrence P. Casson