Brian Foley brianf at
Mon Sep 19 16:39:49 EST 1994

mwatson at wrote:

: Hi Netters

: Do any of you magical computer brains out there know of a package
: (preferably costless as always) that can convert a scanned page
: of text into real ASCII text that can be edited?  I have lost
: two copies of a 600 page document and do not fancy retyping the whole
: thing.  Please help!!!

	Most scanners come with OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software
bundled with them.  See if anyone on your campus has recently purchased a
	There may be shareware/public domain OCR software available, but I
do not know where.  GIven that it comes bundled with scanners, I doubt
there is much incentive to provide it.