X applications on Macs

Jeff R. Livingstone livingst at ncifcrf.gov
Tue Sep 20 02:31:14 EST 1994

In Article <lawa-1409941257440001 at pc0519.ri.afrc.ac.uk>, lawa at bbsrc.ac.uk
(Andy Law (Big Nose)) wrote:
>Is anyone using MacX or eXodus on their Macintoshes? Would you care to
>comment on the usability of the systems?
>
>Thanks in advance for your comments
>
>Andy Law
>
>( Lawa @ bbsrc.ac.uk                     Big Nose in Edinburgh )

Andy -

At the NCI-FCRDC we use eXodus 5.0 on our Macs, mainly to run X-windows
applications from our SGIs.  The biggests problem is that it is rather
slow... note that I'm working on a Quadra 650 and Quadra 800 and still think
this way.  The other problem is that some programs use SGI-proprietary codes
which are not compatible with X-windows standards.  For example, Midas
cannot be run from the Mac using eXodus, since it uses SGI-specific graphics
calls.  However, sybyl can.  Personally I think eXodus is very good and very
solid.  When we were shopping around for a X-windows server, many people
told us to go with eXodus.  However, from personal experience, I don't think
the tech. support is very good.  This is probably due to the fact that White
Pine Sofftware is a pretty small outfit.

- Jeff
Jeff R. Livingstone, Ph.D.                 Net:    livingst @ ncifcrf.gov
Structural Biophysics Laboratory - PRI     Office: (301) 846-1995
National Cancer Institute - FCRDC          Lab:    (301) 846-1952
Bldg. 538, Room 200A                       FAX:    (301) 846-6906
Frederick, MD 21702-1201