help needed for entrez installation (Windows)

Jonathan Epstein epstein at gold.nlm.nih.gov
Fri Sep 23 16:25:10 EST 1994

GERACI at CHEMNA.DICHI.UNINA.IT wrote:
> Dear Netters,
> I am trying to install entrez program for windows, downloading was fine,
> but when I tryed to run it, I got the information that the TKLIB.DLL
> was missing.
> Does anybody know where can I FTP it ?

> Many thanks
> Raffaele
> Calogero at chemna.dichi.unina.it

Raffaele,

This error probably occurs because you have loaded the PC-NFS 4.0 version
of Network Entrez onto your PC.  This version is no longer supported, as
indicated in the README file which appears in the same directory as the
associated binary on our ncbi.nlm.nih.gov anonymous FTP server.

In the unlikely case that you are running PC-NFS 4.0, please check your
PC-NFS configuration.  It is more likely that you are running
PC-NFS 5.0, or some other WinSock 1.1-compatible TCP/IP implementation.
In this case, be sure to download the file which appears at
ftp://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/network/mswin/winsock1.1/nentrezz.exe.

An "invitation" follows below for general interest.  Please contact me
or net-info at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov if you have additional questions or
difficulties.

Regards,

- Jonathan

Jonathan Epstein                                epstein at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
National Center for Biotechnology Information   Phone: (301)496-2475
National Library of Medicine                    Building 38A, Room 8N805
National Institutes of Health                   8600 Rockville Pike
                                                Bethesda, MD 20894
------------------------- begin included message ---------------------------
You are invited to register to use "Network Entrez", a networked version of the
Entrez molecular sequence retrieval system which has formerly been available
only by subscription as a CD-ROM based package.  For those of you who may be
unaware, Entrez is an application program for browsing an interlinked set of
several databases:  a molecular sequence subset of MEDLINE; all of GenBank,
EMBL, DDBJ, PIR, SWISS-PROT, PDB; and more.  Entrez is now available in a
network client-server arrangement, with the databases residing at the NCBI and
accessible by users at distant locations over the worldwide Internet.

Network Entrez client programs are currently available for the following
computer platforms:

  o Macintosh (MacTCP)
  o MS Windows (WinSock 1.1 compatible)
  o Sun SparcStations (SunOS and Solaris)
  o SGI IRIX
  o DEC Alpha running OSF/1
  o DEC Ultrix
  o DEC VMS (Multinet/TGV, Wollongong, and UCX)

Network Entrez software may be obtained via anonymous ftp from ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
(130.14.25.1) in the /entrez/network directory.  There is a README file
in the same directory, which should be read before attempting installation and
use.  Registration (see below) must be performed before the software will
operate correctly, and direct Internet access is an absolute requirement to
using Network Entrez on any computer (e.g., mere e-mail access through services
such as BITNET is insufficient).  On the plus side, no CD-ROM equipment nor
significant local hard disk storage is required to install or use Network
Entrez; more data is accessible through the network service than off the Entrez
CD-ROMs; database updates do not incur the delays associated with CD-ROM
production and distribution; and there are presently no subscription fees to
using the network service.

Administrators:  if any users in your organization are interested in
using Network Entrez, please send the following information to:
net-info at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov.

  o your name, affiliation, electronic and postal mail addresses, and telephone
  number

  o a list of the dotted-decimal IP (Internet Protocol) addresses of whatever
  computers Network Entrez will be installed upon at your site.  For
  convenience, if all computers in a particular subnet may need access to the
  program, the entire subnet may be indicated using the notation x.y.z.* (e.g.,
  130.14.25.*).

Installation of Network Entrez client software may be performed at your
convenience.  Bug reports, questions, and comments about the program should be
sent to the same net-info at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov address.  Occasionally
administrators can expect to receive e-mail directing them to download an
updated version of Network Entrez.  We apologize in advance that administrators
at participating institutions may receive update notices for platforms other
than those actually in use at their site, however we do expect this to occur
infrequently.