wanted: Introductory level genetics tutorial software

a.w. day aday at JULIAN.UWO.CA
Tue Apr 11 13:33:17 EST 1995

On 11 Apr 1995, Craig Zilles wrote:

> 	I'm looking for a nice graphical program to be used to teach a genetics
> class at a community college to non-majors.  I picture something that will let
> you observe the traits of offspring given the traits of their parents (we're not
> talking rocket science here, just something that will keep the students busy for
> a little while).  Prefered platforms are Apple II or Macintosh, but IBM is also
> doable.  Replies by email (shade at ai.mit.edu) are prefered, but I'll be checking
> this group as well.
>
> 				-Craig

Craig,
	You might want to check out our large series (68 titles and
growing) of animated-lessons in Genetics available for MAC Quicktime or PC
(Dos or Windows).

Each animation is a 10-20 min lesson on a key topic in genetics and
a good many are introductory in scope - hence suitable for your class.
Thus there are animated descriptions of Mendelian principles, epistasis,
polygenes, mitosis, meiosis, replication, transcriptio, processing,
translation etc etc. A full list of titles is appended to this note.

You can get 2-3 free sample animations (one is on Meiosis) from our
Net sites as follows or email me for a snail mail demo.

WWW access:
http://www.inform.umd.edu/EdRes/Topic/AgrEnv/Biotech/Software/bio-anim

Gopher Access:
gopher gopher.nalusda.gov
   -Information Centers
     -Biotechnology Information Center
       -Software
        -GENETICS & MOLECULAR BIOLOGY PROGRAMS

For Mac - get MACDEMO.SEA
For Dos/windows VGDEMO.EXE

	There is also a demo file (VLABDEMO.EXE) on our set of lab
experiments in classical genetics - the first modules of which at least
are suitable for beginning students.

    Please read the text file that comes with these demos for full
information on installation and running.

Alan Day

LIST OF ANIMATED LESSONS IN THE BIO-ANIMATE SERIES/VISUAL GENETICS

E = elementary; I = intermediate; A = advanced univ. level

Chapter 1  - DNA Structure and Replication

DNASTRUC.FLI    E     	The Structure of DNA
SEMICONS.FLI 	I     	Semiconservative Replication of DNA
CHROMREP.FLI 	I    	Replication at the Chromosomal Level
REPFORK.FLI 	I     	Enzyme Action at the Replication Fork
REPLISOM.FLI 	A     	The Fixed Replisome Model of Replication

Chapter 2.  Protein Synthesis

AMINACID.FLI	E    	Structure and Properties of amino-acids.
PROTFUNC.FLI 	E    	An Overview of Protein Synthesis
POLYCIST.FLI	I    	Coupled Transcription and Translation
PROMTERM.FLI	I   	Promoters and Terminators of Transcription
TRANSRNA.FLI	I    	tRNA: Structure, Synthesis, Functions
RIBOSOME.FLI 	I    	Ribosomes: Structure, Synthesis, Assembly
CAPNTAIL.FLI	I    	hn RNA processing. G caps and poly A tails
SPLICING.FLI	I    	hn RNA processing and intron splicing.
TRANSLTN.FLI	I     	Translation in Prokaryotes
SIGNALSQ.FLI 	I   	Cotranslational  insertion of proteins
WOBBLE.FLI	I    	The Wobble hypothesis.

Chapter 3.  Chromosomes and Cell Division

CELL.FLI	I	Cell cycle controls (cdc2, MPF, cyclins etc)
MITOSIS2.FLI 	E   	Mitosis
NEWMEIO.FLI	E    	Meiosis
CHIASMA.FLI	I   	Bivalents and chiasma formation
RECSYNAP.FLI	I   	The Synaptonemal Complex and Crossing Over
NUCLAMIN.FLI	I   	Nuclear Lamins - Role in Nuclear Structure
TRANSLOC.FLI	I	Chromosomal translocations
INVERSIO.FLI	I   	Chromosomal inversions effects on meiosis
NUCLEOSM.FLI	I	DNA and chromosomes (nucleosomes, solenoids)
SCAFFOLD.FLI	I	Chromosome struc. in interphase & metaphase

Chapter 4  Recombination  and Mapping

MENDEL.FLI	E	Mendelian genetics
MAPPING1.FLI	E	Principles of mapping
MAPPING2.FLI	I	Mapping in 2 and 3-point crosses
TETRAD.FLI	I	Tetrad analysis
MITXOVER.FLI	I 	Mitotic Crossing-over
BENZER.FLI	I	Fine struc. of genes - Benzer's rII analysis
BACTCONJ.FLI	I    	Conjugation in Bacteria
MOLREC.FLI	A   	Molecular Models of Recombination
GENECONV.FLI	A   	Gene Conversion
ANTIBODY.FLI	I	Mechanisms causing antibody diversity
COMPLEMT.FLI	I	Complementation and complementation tests

Chapter 5   Mutation, Repair and Regulation

MUTATION.FLI	E       Mutation, the genetic code, & phenotypes
AMES.FLI	I   	Testing for chemical mutagens-The Ames Test
SPONMUTN.FLI	I   	The origin of spontaneous mutations.
TRANSPOS.FLI	I   	Transposons in prokaryotes
UVREPAIR.FLI	I   	UV Damage and Repair
LACOPRON.FLI	I   	The Lac Operon
ATTENUTN.FLI	A   	Attenuation at the Tryptophan Operon

Chapter 6  Biotechnological Techniques

TECHNIQ.FLI	I	Techniques-isol./analyzing NA's + Proteins
DIRMUTAN.FLI	I    	Site directed mutation
BLOTTING.FLI 	I    	Southern, Northern and Western blotting.
CLONING1.FLI	I   	Recombinant DNA
CLONING2.FLI	I   	Genomic and cDNA Libraries
PCR.FLI		I   	The Polymerase Chain Reaction
DNASEQ.FLI	I   	Methods of Sequencing DNA
FINGERPR.FLI    I	DNA  Fingerprinting

Chapter  7  Topics in Cell Biology

ELECTRAN.FLI	I   	Electron transport and proton pumping

GPROTEIN.FLI 	I   	Hormonal activation of protein kinases
MOTOPROT.FLI 	I   	Microtubule-associated motor proteins
OSMOSIS.FLI 	E      	Osmosis and osmotic pressures
ATOMSTRC.FLI 	E   	Structure of atoms, bonds & molecules
SKELMUSC.FLI	I   	Contraction in skeletal muscle
SPECTRIN.FLI	I   	The spectrin-based cytoskeleton
SYNTRANS.FLI	I   	Signal transduction across the synapse.
VOLTGATE.FLI	I   	The role of voltage-gated channels
PHOTSYN1.FLI	A    	Photosynthesis  Part 1
PHOTSYN2.FLI 	A   	Photosynthesis. Part 2