New Journal Editor seeking application to help manage ....

Vera Noest Vera.Noest at vaxtbio.uu.se
Thu Aug 3 08:40:18 EST 1995

In article <GRANDCHA.12.001261C0 at cmu.unige.ch>, GRANDCHA at cmu.unige.ch
says...
>My boss has recently become the new editor of a journal.
>To manage the lot I could make an application in a DBMS, but we are pressed
>for time.
>
>Is there anyone who knows of a ready-made application that will help us
keep
>track of addresses, manuscripts, reviewers, editors, labels and the
innumerous
>dates for recalls and reminders ?

Hello Ken,

I do not know what platform you are working on, but I can recommend
FileMaker Pro, which is available for both PC and Macintosh.
You create a record for every manuscript, and define as many fields (=
variables) as you need, i.e. authors name, title, date of first submission,
names of referees, their comments, etc. You can export selected variables
into a "merge" file, and incorporate them into your standard letters in
Microsoft Word (maybe also other wordprocessors). You can define macros in
FileMaker Pro to alert you when a review is overdue, etc.
I use it al the time (I am the managing editor of the Journal of Coastal
Conservation), and it enables me to see in one glance in what "state" a
manuscript is.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with any of the above software
producers.
Vera Noest                        Email : Vera.Noest at vaxtbio.uu.se
Dept. of Ecological Botany        Fax   : +46 18 553419
Uppsala University                Voice : +46 18 182869
Uppsala, Sweden