Preparation of papers figures entirely electronically: help wanted.

tom chappell t.chappell at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Aug 18 08:58:56 EST 1995

In article <40vnra$9sv at fmiunix.fmi.ch>, Patrick Matthias <matthias at fmi.ch>
wrote:

> Preparation of papers figures entirely electronically: help wanted.
>
> We have all that is required to prepare entirely electronically figures
> for papers: a high-end UMax scanner (up to 2400dpi resolution) connected
> to Photoshop 3.0 (with UMax Magic Scan scanner software), Power Macs
> with Canvas 3.5 . This is connected to a really high quality very
> expensive photographic printer from Fuji. The only problem is that
> somewhere in the chain some settings must be incompatible as, although
> the scans do look very nice, after they are imported in Canvas (from
> Photoshop) they look less nice, and once the final figures are printed
> the grayscale is lost.
> Anybody knows how to adjust the various settings so that it works??

Why are you throwing Canvas into the mix? Our set up is somewhat lower
quality--I tend to use PhotoCD images with Photoshop and then out to an 8K
line slide printer--but, assuming your printer isn't Postscript, I'd want
my final image to be coming out of Photoshop. What I do is do postscript
work in Illustrator and then place the Illustrator material into
Photoshop. Photoshop rasterizes the Illustrator material well enough that
text has absolutely no jagged edges when projected onto a large screen.

Tom Chappell
MRC Lab for Molecular Cell Biology
University College London