amino acid alignments

Geoff Barton gjb at
Tue Aug 22 04:18:09 EST 1995

krasel at (Cornelius Krasel) wrote:
>ae at wrote:
>> Does anyone know of a program that can identify amino acids with similar
>> properties (e.g. charge, hydrophobicity) in a multiple sequence alignment and
>> then highlight these residues for presentation in a table?
>I have found the most versatile program for colouring multiple sequence
>alignments to be ALSCRIPT. The author is Geoff Barton, and he reads
>this group :-) (No, I don't know the ftp site off-hand.)
Thanks for the recommendation.  Check out the README file on our ftp server.
You might also like to try the AMAS server.
Geoffrey J. Barton, Laboratory of Molecular Biophysics, University of Oxford,
Rex Richards Building, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3QU, U.K.
email: gjb at, Tel: +44 1865 275368, Fax: +44 1865 510454,,