Kinetics in MS-Excel?

Frank R. Gorga gorga at next.duq.edu
Thu Aug 24 10:33:25 EST 1995

You do not need a specialized macro to fit data to non-linear
models (including the Michaelis-Menten equation). Excel includes a
"Solver" function that allows the probelm to be easliy solved.

The solver function allows one to minimize the value in a single cell (in
this case, the sum of squares) by adjusting the values in other cells (in
this case, Km and Vmax, the parameters of the model).

A paper describing the general method was recently published by Walsh and
Diamond in Talanta (vol 42, pp 561-572, 1995). I have been working a
manuscript describing the application of Excel's Solver function to
biochemical data specifically. However, I am unsure about proceeding in
light of the Walsh & Diamond paper.

I hope that this helps...

Frank R. Gorga, Ph.D.
Dept. of Chemistry & Biochemistry