NIH grant templates

Rob Steele resteele at uci.edu
Fri Aug 25 19:30:00 EST 1995

I just received the information below from John Livesey, who has produced
the currently available Word for Mac versions of the NIH grant template
files.  He is working on a version of the new PHS398 form.

Thanks for your interest in our grant template files.  Here's a status
report on how & where you may be able to obtain revised versions of these
files:

I received (along with every other NIH grantee in the country) a copy of
the PHS398 form (5/95 revision) in mid July.  After completing our Spring
semester here and a week's vacation, I'll be starting work on re-creating
these files.  I will be starting over from scratch, since the files
created for Mac-Word 3.0 are not the best starting place for a new
version for Word 6.0 or later.  I hope to have a Mac version by the end
of August.

Versions for Windows will follow thereafter.  The American Association of
Colleges of Pharmacy has very generously offerred to support this
effort.  They will be providing me with the funds to buy hardware and
software to create and test MS-Windows versions of these files.  I hope
to have Word & Excel for Windows versions by Oct 1 and WordPerfect for
Windows versions soon thereafter.

According to the NIH Guide for Grants & Contracts, (July 28, 1995):
    "The revised (5/95) PHS 398 grant application form is now
     available, and should be used for receipt dates beginning
     September 1,1995, and must be used for the receipt date of
     January 1, 1996, and thereafter."
Thus, applications submitted for the October 1, 1995 application date MAY
still use the old form, but the NIH would prefer the new form be used;
the new forms MUST be used after Jan 1, 1996.

Availability:  As the files are released, they will be available for
downloading from several sites on Internet.  The previous versions (Mac
v2.3; W4W v1.31; WP4W v1.1) are available from FTP.ITS.MCW.EDU in the
directory /pub/grant-files.  New versions will also be posted to
http://www.aacp.org and may be available from other sites also.  Due to
the high time burden, I will no longer be making disk copies for
individuals, so don't send me a disk in the mail.  AACP may be offering
this service to their members.  If you're reading this message online,
you have the capability to download the files; Email me for complete
instructions on how to accomplish this task or talk with the computer
networking or MIS support people for your organization.

Dr. John Livesey

Physiol & Pharmacol, Sch Pharmacy, Univ of Pacific, Stockton, CA 95211
jlivesey at uop.edu      /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\    75540,3454 (CIS)
209-946-2485 (Voice & Fax)   ++++++++++++++  209-946-2410 (Better Fax)

--
Rob Steele
Department of Biological Chemistry
E-mail: resteele at uci.edu