How do I get pure text?

Jerry Learn learn at u.washington.edu
Wed Aug 30 10:03:33 EST 1995

In article <DEernisse-2908951619020001 at deernisse.fullerton.edu>,
DEernisse at fullerton.edu (Doug Eernisse) wrote:

>In article <41h4o4$adn at nntp3.u.washington.edu>,
>meir at zoology.washington.edu (Eli Meir) wrote:
>
>> I have gotten a few complaints about my Biology Education Software FAQ
>> from people who say that the format I use is unreadable.  It has lots
>> of control characters in it and the text is all mushed up[...]
>
>Try using the BBEdit extension cryptically called "827" which does a
>good job of stripping anything that is nongeneric text. This particular

It does seem to be a bit cryptic doesn't it, but someone explained it to me:

"827" (pronounced 8-to-7) recodes eight-bit ascii to seven-bit ascii

Maybe this makes it somewhat less cryptic, and easier to remember.
--
_____
Jerry Learn

Research Associate

Dept. of Microbiology             | Learn at u.washington.edu
University of Washington          | Phone: (206) 616-4286
Box 357740                        |   FAX: (206) 616-1575
Seattle, WA  98195-7740  USA      |     or (206) 543-8297