Sequencher help

Howard Cash howardc at genecodes.com
Tue Dec 5 19:49:01 EST 1995

oravaxcm at world.std.com (Charles A Miller) wrote:
>Does anyone know of a shareware program that can read sequencher files or
>at least convert the sequence portion of the file into text that can be
>read into DNAstrider or GeneJockey?
>
>Thanks
>Chuck
>
>oravaxcm at world.std.com

Dear Chuck,

You don't need another program.  Just select the sequence or sequences that
you want to export from your Sequencher project and use the Export Sequences
command under the FILE menu (import/export).  When you see the Mac's "File
Save" dialogue, you'll notice a "Format" button at the bottom of the window.
Click it and you'll be able to choose between sixteen or seventeen file
formats including ASCII (that's probably what you want), GenBank, GCG, IG,
SCF (if you are using files that have chratogram data) and - now that I
think of it - even Strider.  It's worth mentioning that the code for many
of the file exporting routines in Sequencher come from the excellent
software library of Don Gilbert.

To make things easier on yourself, you can set Sequencher's User Prefs to
attach a particular application signature to files that are exported
as plain text.  For instance, you can export text files with Microsoft
Word's signature.  That way, when you double click on the exported document
it will launch Word instead of Sequencher.

I don't read this group as often as I would like, so if you have further
questions, you can e-mail me directly or send a message to
support at genecodes.com.

Regards,

Howard Cash
President
Gene Codes Corporation
2901 Hubbard Rd.
Ann Arbor, MI  48105

phone: 313-769-7249     fax: 313-769-7074
e-mail: howardc at genecodes.com