graphics software help!

Paula Sanch Paula.Sanch at emich.edu
Thu Dec 7 14:07:43 EST 1995

owagener at medicine.bsd.uchicago.edu wrote:
>In article <4a0dfr$qv5$1 at mhadg.production.compuserve.com> Louise Lapierre <74267.2135 at CompuServe.COM> writes:
>>Could you please help me find an adequate software package for
>>making scientific graphs.  I need something that will make
>>publication quality multiple graphs with numerous species density
>>classes on an axes of distance in a river.  I would also need a
>>graphing tool to make box plots on an distance scale on a river,
>>as well as error bars on linear graph.  The program would also
>>require some drawing possibilities to be able to make
>>inscriptions of towns and effluent from industries.
>>If you know of any software that can do this without to much
>>tampering, please reply.
>>I have used Freelance, Harvard Graphic and Sigma plot, all for
>>DOS.  Do the windows versions work better?
>
>Hi Louise: Windows programs are much easier to use than DOS, especially when
>you need to play around with axis or figures. I have found that Stanford
>Graphics 3.0 let you customize scientific and technical graphs easily, and
>also let you present yor graph on the way that Freelance or Harvard Graphic
>does using master slide templates, a nice feature if you are planing
>presentatios or printing slides. This days I think you can get the program for
>$99. One downside is that broken axes are clumsy, so if you use a lot of
>broken axes better stay off this program. SigmaPlot for windows is also very
>powerful and easy to customize, but is much more expensive.

As Osvaldo says, the Windows programs are *much* easier.  I use Harvard Graphics
for Windows 3.0 (and I go back to version 2 of the DOS.  However, since you don't
own it, I think I'd recommend Harvard Graph (a new program which is specifically
oriented to graphs, and is cheaper.  It will seem somewhat familiar to you, since
it comes from the same software house, and I'm sure it will import any/all old
files you may have from HG/DOS.  However, Freelance has been upgraded recently
and is getting some very good reviews in the computer rags.
HG/DOS.