Catalog for Pc/Mac scientific software ?

Bradley Turner bturner at MED-ITVAX1.BU.EDU
Thu Dec 21 12:05:49 EST 1995

jgaraud at (Jean-Claude GARAUD) writes on
Wed, 20 Dec 1995 16:53:24 GMT in message

>Hello !
>I am looking for a catalog (file, WWW link ...) of scientific
>freeware/ software for microcomputers (PC or Mac), preferably with
>comments. I have already found some :
>bio catalog at EBI (UK), mainly Unix software
>- gopher://
>Indiana University, good, but lacking software descriptions (at least
>I have not been able to find comments, except by downloading the
> Genethon, France, mainly Unix software
>University of Massachusetts, a very nice catalog, but for free flow
>cytometry software only.
>Any help would be greatly appreciated, and certainly useful for other
>	Jean-Claude GARAUD
>	Institut de Chimie Biologique

If you are willing to consider commercial software (i.e. costs money)
you might try the following catalogs:

SciTech Software for Science
SciTech International Inc
2525 N. Elston Avenue
Chicago, IL 60647-2003
800-622-3345 phone
312-486-9191 phone
312-486-9234 fax
info at

The Biotehcnology Software Directory: A Buyer's Guide
Kevin Ahern Editor
Mary Ann Liebert Inc. Publisher
ISBN 913113-70-0
2 Madison Avenue
Larchmont, NY 10580
914-834-3100 phone
800-MLIEBERT phone
914-834-3688 fax
liebert at
(This guide costs $69.00 US, but it does contain a short section
 on "home grown" (i.e. free/shareware) software)

I have no connection with either of these companies other
than as a customer.  Both of these catalogs have a wide variety
of scientific software (biology, biochem, chem, math etc.)
with descriptions of the software
software from a number of different suppliers.

I hope this helps.
Brad Turner

                    Bradley Turner
                 University Hospital

Boston University           PHONE: 617-638-8346
Medical Center              FAX:   617-638-7785
Gastroenterology, E-201     EMAIL: bturner at
88 East Newton Street              bsturner at
Boston, MA 02118, USA              bsturner at