Catalog for Pc/Mac scientific software ?

BIOCHEMISTRY.COM jquinn at shellx.best.com
Thu Dec 21 19:25:53 EST 1995

I think that there are a few sites that have what Jean-Claude is looking
for (EMBL has descriptions of the software it has in a file on its
gopher/FTP server).

At some point (when I get my act together!) I will be doing exactly this
at the site, biochem.com, which is a not-for-profit web site. If anyone
has shareware/freeware software aimed at biochemistry they would like to
deposit at this USA site, together with a description and comments, please
email me (admin at biochem.com). (I really don't like badly crippled demo
software because it seems to me worse than useless).

In fact, if anyone has any ideas or feels like getting involved, get in
touch.

Thanks!

Gregg

Bradley Turner (bturner at MED-ITVAX1.BU.EDU) wrote:
: jgaraud at faust.u-strasbg.fr (Jean-Claude GARAUD) writes on
: Wed, 20 Dec 1995 16:53:24 GMT in message

: >Hello !
: >
: >I am looking for a catalog (file, WWW link ...) of scientific
: >freeware/ software for microcomputers (PC or Mac), preferably with
: >comments. I have already found some :
: >
: >- http://www.ebi.ac.uk/biocat/biocat.html
: >bio catalog at EBI (UK), mainly Unix software
: >
: >- gopher://ftp.bio.indiana.edu:70/11/
: >Indiana University, good, but lacking software descriptions (at least
: >I have not been able to find comments, except by downloading the
: >software)
: >
: >- http://www.genethon.fr/exterieur/bio_catal.html
: > Genethon, France, mainly Unix software
: >
: >- http://www.bio.umass.edu/mcbfacs/flowcat.html
: >University of Massachusetts, a very nice catalog, but for free flow
: >cytometry software only.
: >
: >Any help would be greatly appreciated, and certainly useful for other
: >biologists.
: >
: >JCG
: >
: >
: >______________________________________________
: >	Jean-Claude GARAUD
: >	Institut de Chimie Biologique
: >	STRASBOURG, FRANCE
: >______________________________________________
: >
: >
: >

: If you are willing to consider commercial software (i.e. costs money)
: you might try the following catalogs:

: SciTech Software for Science
: SciTech International Inc
: 2525 N. Elston Avenue
: Chicago, IL 60647-2003
: 800-622-3345 phone
: 312-486-9191 phone
: 312-486-9234 fax
: info at scitechint.com
: http://www.scitechint.com/scitech/

: The Biotehcnology Software Directory: A Buyer's Guide
: Kevin Ahern Editor
: Mary Ann Liebert Inc. Publisher
: ISBN 913113-70-0
: 2 Madison Avenue
: Larchmont, NY 10580
: 914-834-3100 phone
: 800-MLIEBERT phone
: 914-834-3688 fax
: liebert at pipeline.com
: (This guide costs $69.00 US, but it does contain a short section
:  on "home grown" (i.e. free/shareware) software)

: I have no connection with either of these companies other
: than as a customer.  Both of these catalogs have a wide variety
: of scientific software (biology, biochem, chem, math etc.)
: with descriptions of the software
: software from a number of different suppliers.

: I hope this helps.
: Brad Turner

:                     Bradley Turner
:                  University Hospital

: Boston University           PHONE: 617-638-8346
: Medical Center              FAX:   617-638-7785
: Gastroenterology, E-201     EMAIL: bturner at med-itvax1.bu.edu
: 88 East Newton Street              bsturner at water.bu.edu
: Boston, MA 02118, USA              bsturner at mbcrr.harvard.edu