Help with user trees in KITSCH (Phylip 3.5c)

Bernard Khoo WCI bcek1 at
Tue Feb 7 09:12:13 EST 1995

Dear all

I've done a 100 times bootstrap analysis on an 11 member dataset. However, when
I try to run KITSCH on this dataset, specifying two user trees at the end as
below, the program refuses to accept the user trees, complaining that either
a parenthesis or semicolon must be missing.

[PROTDIST output x100]

As far as I can see these trees are rooted and balanced. Not only that, they
work as user trees if I append them to the end of the original (non-
bootstrapped) dataset. Does anyone have any ideas as to what is happening here?
Have I put the user trees in the wrong place in the file?

Bernard Khoo   Wellcome/CRC Institute, Cambridge, UK.
               E-mail: bcek1 at,,
                       or bkhoo at