Help with user trees in KITSCH (Phylip 3.5c)

Joe Felsenstein joe at
Tue Feb 7 20:32:56 EST 1995

In article <3h7v3t$4cg at> bcek1 at (Bernard Khoo (WCI)) writes:
>I've done a 100 times bootstrap analysis on an 11 member dataset. However, when
>I try to run KITSCH on this dataset, specifying two user trees at the end as
>below, the program refuses to accept the user trees, complaining that either
>a parenthesis or semicolon must be missing.
>[PROTDIST output x100]
>As far as I can see these trees are rooted and balanced. Not only that, they
>work as user trees if I append them to the end of the original (non-
>bootstrapped) dataset. Does anyone have any ideas as to what is happening here?
>Have I put the user trees in the wrong place in the file?

I think that, alas, you have to put them at the end of each of the 100
replicates of the Protdist output.  This is not great user interface, I
admit.  Why do you want to do user trees in a bootstrap run, though?  Most
people don't need to.

It was complaining because it was reading into the next data set when it
was looking for a user tree.

 Internet:         joe at     (IP No.