Mac vrs. Pentium
Bruce K. Kirchoff
kirchoff at goodall.uncg.edu
Tue Feb 14 18:17:15 EST 1995
I am in the market for a new computer. As a long time IBM clone
user I am hesitant to switch to Mac, but I want to consider all alternatives.
Here is what I want to do with my computer.
1) Run Adobie Photoshop to assemble photographic images (from an SEM and
light microscope) into plates, annotate the plates and print them (to a camera
attached to the SEM) for publication.
2) Capture images from a high resolution video camera (1000 lines TV, horizontal)
attached to a light microscope.
3) Store and back up to tape many images. I want a least a 1 gig drive and a
large tape back up system.
4) Prepare multimedia presentation for use in class.
5) I will be connected to a network connected to the internet.
6) Run drawing programs such as Adobie Illistrator and Professional Draw. I
make diagrams for publication with these programs.
7) Run normal world processing and database software. My database (over
3000 references) is in a DOS program (Procite) and may be difficult to convert.
8) Do all of the above with good performance.
What computer would you recomend I purchase? What options
should I buy? Do you have a favorite manufacturer for the video and frame
grabber boards for the IBM (or Mac)? I am interested in any information that
might be helpful.
I will post a summary of the responses to this newsgroup.
Thanks in advance.
University of North Carolina at Greensboro
email: kirchoff at goodall.uncg.edu
More information about the Bio-soft