plasmid inventory control

bascombn at ptag3.pt.cyanamid.com bascombn at ptag3.pt.cyanamid.com
Thu Jan 5 06:31:48 EST 1995

In article <3ecmoj$nf6 at gazette.bcm.tmc.edu>, pburch at roc.mbcr.bcm.tmc.edu (Paula Burch) writes:
> One of our users wants a program that can keep track of the maps
> of a 100 or so plasmids and has the ability to draw the plasmid,
> name its parts, and give a reference if appropriate. She points
> out that while programs such as MacVector will do some of this,
> they cost in the thousands of dollars and represent rather
> extreme overkill for what she wants to do. She says there's
> got to be something simpler that will do what she needs.
>
> Any suggestions?

Scientific and Educational Software (P.O. Box 440, State Line, PA (717)597-5307
has a good PC package called "Clone" which allows you to do your cloning
strategies, draw maps of the finished labeled plasmid and store it in a
"database".  The "Enhance" program allows you to make nice construction
diagrams from all the pieces.  The price isn't bad if I remember correctly, I
think it was in the hundreds (as opposed to thousands) and the updates have
been good.

BTW, I do not work for them...     Hope this helps.

Newell Bascomb