UNIX to Mac transfer problems

Daniel Weinreich dmw at MCZ.HARVARD.EDU
Mon Jan 16 14:49:30 EST 1995

On Mon, 16 Jan 1995, Patrick Weix wrote:

> senicol at iastate.edu (Stephen E Nicol) writes:
>
> >I have been having a difficult time trying to transfer executable
programs from a UNIX system to my Mac.  Even though I designate the
transfer (Kermit or Zmodem) and designate my protocol as binary, my Mac
still receives the programs as a documen.  Any
advise on how to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated.

> UN*X executables? Or Mac programs from an ftp site?
>
> >senicol at iastate.edu
>
> >Thanks!

This is the key question.  As James Gardner pointed out in a previous
post, an executable image which works on your UNIX machine in general can
not and will not work on your MAC because of a number of hardware and
software conflicts.  On the other hand if you've downloaded a MAC image to
your UNIX machine (say from a bulletin board) and now need to get it on
your MAC, you it may help to do the transfer in MacBinary (and not just
Binary).

Good luck!

Daniel M. Weinreich			email: dmw at mcz.harvard.edu
Harvard University 			usmail: 26 Oxford Street
Museum of Comparative Zoology			Cambridge, MA 02138
voice: (617) 495-1954			fax: (617) 495-5667