population genetics software needed

Rob Brooks robb at gecko.biol.wits.ac.za
Mon Jan 23 16:26:58 EST 1995

Hi,

I am not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this, but as there is
no population genetics group, here goes.

I am beginning my first year of teaching, and am looking for a program to
simulate change in gene frequencies (one-locus, two-allele would be just fine)
in order to teach 2nd year college students the basics regarding evolution at
a genetic level. I could do this with spreadsheets but this precludes the
effects of drift, making it a somewhat sterile exercise. The ideal would be
something that we can change population size, starting frequencies, selection
coefficients for each genotype and generations. If anyone has such a program
or knows where I can buy or FTP one, please let me know. On this group is
great, but via e-mail would be better.

Thanks a lot

Rob Brooks
Zoology Dept.