PAUP

Joe Felsenstein joe at evolution.genetics.washington.edu
Thu Jan 26 08:46:45 EST 1995

In article <9501250021.AA04798 at pogo.cbs.umn.edu> danp at POGO.CBS.UMN.EDU (Dan S. Prestridge) writes:
>Does anyone know where a copy of the old PAUP (Phylogentic
>Analysis Using Parsimony) program can be found?

Here is the situation as I understand it, based on conversations
with David Swofford.

David does not distribute PAUP.  He has discontinued distribution of previous
while a new one is being prepared.  Nor is he able to answer the huge volume of
inquiries about it which he receives by e-mail and letter.  He is working
on a new release of PAUP, which will be made available for Macintosh,
DOS, and in a source code version for Unix workstations.  It will, when
completed, be distributed by Sinauer Associates of Sunderland, Massachusetts.
Inquiries about its status can be directed by e-mail to publish at sinauer.com.
Rumor has it that its price will be in the vicinity of $100.

The new version of PAUP will have improved parsimony methods, plus distance
matrix methods and perhaps likelihood methods.

Some people have inquired whether PAUP is available over the Internet by
anonymous ftp.  It is not, and it is a violation of David's copyright for
anyone to make it available that way.

I sympathize with the frustration of people who are trying to get ahold of
PAUP for their work, and can only suggest that they either be patient or
obtain one of PAUP's competitors ;-)

-----
 Internet:         joe at genetics.washington.edu     (IP No. 128.95.12.41)
-----