Protein alignments for publication: Reverse Text How???

Michael D. Baron michael.baron at
Tue Jul 25 04:24:58 EST 1995

In article <duvickj-2407951700120001 at>,
duvickj at (Jon Duvick) says:
>How can I make those nice black on  white/ white on black sequence
>for publication? It can be done in Word 6 but it's tedious. There must
>some software that does this!
>Jon Duvick
>Duvickj at

There are a number of programs that will do this, Jon; I would mention
particularly PrettyBox (part of the 'unsupported extras' in the GCG
package on our system, possibly available from the EMBL archives), well
integrated into the GCG environment; ALSCRIPT (from Geoff Barton at
Oxford University, see recent posting in announcing new
version), *very* flexible, able to add extra lettering/outlines, change
font, etc., therefore a little harder to use; BOXSHADE (v 3.0), from the
EMBL archive, have to compile it yourself unless you can use a VMS
executable); SeqVu (a Mac program, shareware, find it on Info-Mac
archive); there is also an Excel macro that does the job, probably
available from the Indiana bio archive (don't have Excel, so I never
tried it).
The problem most of these programs have is that they produce their best
output by writing PostScript directly; the resulting output is therefore
difficult to edit (though there are ways around that, usually involving
access to GhostScript and Illustrator or CorelDraw).

Hope this is some help.
Michael D. Baron Ph.D.
michael.baron at