NCBI connection fails again

Francis Ouellette francis at
Mon Jul 24 21:10:05 EST 1995

Ling-Wen Zeng (lzeng at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU) wrote:

> I use NCBI site all the time. I usually get response in a few
> minutes, but for the past two months or so I never got any
> response within a day. I remember somebody gave an alternative
> site for BLAST search, but the site (blast at ?)
> never worked for me. Can the person who posted this site
> give us some help?

As Dennis Benson recently posted, we did experience some
problems with the ncbi machine ( this
weekend, and we unfortunatly also had unrelated trouble with
our Entrez server.  The problem with the ncbi machine meant
that all mail sent to would not operate for
the affected period, but all of these things are now fixed,
and are in fine working order now.

Please do not hesitate to let us know if there are
any other problems.

| B.F. Francis Ouellette
| GenBank
| francis at or francis at
|                             (if ncbi is down ;-)

National Center for Biotechnology Information
Building 38A, Rm 8N-803
National Library of Medicine,
National Institutes of Health
Bethesda, MD, 20894, USA

telephone: (301) 496-2475
fax:       (301) 480-9241

sequence submissions:        gb-sub at
sequence update:             update at
Authorin question:         authorin at
Entrez question:             entrez at
BLAST help question:     blast-help at
Network entrez question:   net-info at
WWW/Mosaic question:            www at

any question:                info at

send 'help' in body of message for info on
these servers:

blast Email server:           blast at
retrieve Email server:     retrieve at

datalib dbest      {or dbsts}

in body of message to:      retrieve at

for info on these servers:

EST full report server, or STS server respectively.

anonymous FTP:

login as: anonymous
password: your email address