Bio Software for 100-level course (Unix-based)

Borries Demeler demeler at selway.umt.edu
Tue Jul 25 18:48:11 EST 1995

In article <3v3jjc$n0n at nntp3.u.washington.edu>,
Eli Meir <meir at zoology.washington.edu> wrote:
>From what I've seen, there's really no way you should be going with a
>UNIX system for introductory biology courses.  Anyone who wants to
>write intro bio software is going to do it for macs or pc's, because
>they will sell 100 times as much in those markets (or have 100 times as
>many people using it if its free).  See my Biology Education Software
>FAQ above for a partial list of good bio education software.  Almost
>all the stuff in there is for macs and pc's, and I have yet to see any
>introductory level stuff on unix (though I'm sure there is some).

I would strongly recommend to keep the UNIX option open. Most serious
research level software is developed for UNIX platforms, which provides
a much more powerful environment than does Mac, DOS or Windows. Students
should be trained on the kind of software that is used in a real research
environment. If you have to make a compromise, select a upper level
pentium system, you get reasonably good performance and can use DOS/Windows
and UNIX applications interchangeably. Linux is a very stable UNIX
platform for PC computers and enjoys the advantage of having many
research applications ported to it.

my $0.02 worth.

-Borries Demeler
Dept. of Biochemistry