Simple text editor for mac wanted.

Harry Mangalam mangalam at uci.edu
Mon Jun 5 13:44:41 EST 1995

In article <weixD9GApA.5LC at netcom.com>, weix at netcom.com (Patrick Weix) wrote:

> (Dave Johnston) <daj at mailserver.nhm.ac.uk> writes:
>
> >Hi,
> >I am looking for a basic (freeware) text editor for the Mac with cut, copy,
> >paste, find, exchange etc type functions but it must be (a) 100%
> >reliable) and (b) capable of handling very big data files (too large for
> >simpletext/teachtext). We have Word6 but would prefer something less
> >lumbering. Any suggestions.

Another Vote for Alpha!!

Alpha - Pete Keleher. Now *$30* shareware (and cheap at twice the price).
Also comes with Power Mac native form.  A text editor based on Ousterhout's
tcl scripting language that comes with custom setups for just about any
kind of file (HTML, TeX, Perl, C/C++, Fortran, Pascal, tcl, you name it,
and is further almost infinitely customizable via tcl.  Huge number of
predefined keybindings, can define your own.  Also has keyboard
macros, many unixy tools (grep, diff, sort), can be used as the external
editor for MacPerl, Think C, Metrowerks, etc. Carried in many Mac
Archives, but home is:
http://www.cs.umd.edu/~keleher/alpha.html

Harry
--
Harry J Mangalam, Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, UC Irvine,
      Irvine, CA, 92717, (714) 824-4824, fax (714) 824 8598