Simple text editor for mac wanted.

Harry Mangalam mangalam at
Mon Jun 5 13:44:41 EST 1995

In article <weixD9GApA.5LC at>, weix at (Patrick Weix) wrote:

> (Dave Johnston) <daj at> writes:
> >Hi,
> >I am looking for a basic (freeware) text editor for the Mac with cut, copy,
> >paste, find, exchange etc type functions but it must be (a) 100%
> >reliable) and (b) capable of handling very big data files (too large for
> >simpletext/teachtext). We have Word6 but would prefer something less
> >lumbering. Any suggestions.

Another Vote for Alpha!!

Alpha - Pete Keleher. Now *$30* shareware (and cheap at twice the price).
Also comes with Power Mac native form.  A text editor based on Ousterhout's
tcl scripting language that comes with custom setups for just about any
kind of file (HTML, TeX, Perl, C/C++, Fortran, Pascal, tcl, you name it,
and is further almost infinitely customizable via tcl.  Huge number of
predefined keybindings, can define your own.  Also has keyboard
macros, many unixy tools (grep, diff, sort), can be used as the external
editor for MacPerl, Think C, Metrowerks, etc. Carried in many Mac
Archives, but home is:

Harry J Mangalam, Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, UC Irvine,
      Irvine, CA, 92717, (714) 824-4824, fax (714) 824 8598
                 --- knowledge is fractal ---
  Computational Biology..SGI..Woodworking..Bicycling..Linux..WWW