Programming language querry

John Kuszewski johnk at
Wed Jun 7 13:03:14 EST 1995

In article <19950606235137.bloksber at>, bloksber at  (Leonard N. Bloksberg) writes:
|> I'm getting sick of waiting for some specialized applications to be written
|> for me, so I'm entertaining the idea of writing my own programs.  I am
|> comfortable in DOS and UNIX, but I only have access to DOS and Windows
|> machines right now.  I'm leaning toward a C language because I understand
|> that programs can be compiled for UNIX, DOS, or MAC from the same code.
|> Is "Borland C++ 4.5 visual" a good language to dive into?  Can anyone recomend
|> something that will be both easy to pick up, and powerfull enough to bother
|> spending time to learn?  Thanks.

Exactly what kind of custom program are you looking to write?
A little utility (like a customized pocket calculator), or
a molecular dynamics program?

How important is having a good (graphic) user interface?

How important is the PC/Mac/Unix portability?

For writing little utility programs, Tcl (for PC and Unix, but
probably not Macs) is OK.  Visual Basic is *much* better, but only
runs on PCs (Windows or DOS).

For writing really big programs, I advise you to talk to an
expert.  Inexperienced people tend to do a poor job of the
initial organizing of a very large program.

                                   |        ___/_
                                   |        |/  /
John Kuszewski                     ||  |/  /|  ||
johnk at          ||  /  /||  ||
that's MISTER protein G to you!     |/__/|      |

"Biophysics has driven me to an attitude of apocalyptic doom"
   --Frank Delaglio