New WAIS dbs: comp.sy.sgi, info-mac, comp.os.linux

Harry Mangalam mangalam at uci.edu
Fri Mar 3 13:15:58 EST 1995

Hi All,

   While this is not strictly bio-related, these services were set up by
myself for that audience here at UCI and elsewhere, so you may as well
benefit from them.  Especially with Linux taking off in biology labs as an
alternative to the more expensive unices, this database may be of
assistance to people trying to get up and running with the system.  (It's
a little 486/Linux box hosting the info-mac and linux dbs).

The entire comp.sys.sgi hierarchy (about 190MB - thanks to SGI for the
hosting disk) is available via the individual groups, updated twice a week
automatically:

 comp.sys.sgi.admin
 comp.sys.sgi.announce
 comp.sys.sgi.apps
 comp.sys.sgi.audio
 comp.sys.sgi.bugs
 comp.sys.sgi.graphics
 comp.sys.sgi.hardware
 comp.sys.sgi.misc
 comp.sys.mips

wais://hornet.mmg.uci.edu/comp.sys.sgi.[group]?query boolean query ...

ie

wais://hornet.mmg.uci.edu/comp.sys.sgi.apps?image and processing and free

The info-mac electronic periodical which is useful for the announcements
of free-, share-,  and comm-ware as well as updates, fixes, and FAQs,
reformatted slightly is available as:

info-mac    Volumes 10 thru 12 inclusive (~30MB)
info-mac95  Volume 13 (1995), updated about weekly (haven't finished
            automating it yet)

wais://ih34.hsis.uci.edu/info-mac?query boolean query ...
wais://ih34.hsis.uci.edu/info-mac95?query boolean query ...

ie:

wais://ih34.hsis.uci.edu/info-mac?molecular and biology or DNA

Most of the comp.os.linux hierarchy, starting from a couple weeks ago, is
also available, re-indexed nightly

comp.os.linux.admin
comp.os.linux.announce
comp.os.linux.hardware
comp.os.linux.help
comp.os.linux.misc
comp.os.linux.networking
comp.os.linux.x

This feed rate is about 0.5 MB/day, so eventually I'll have to start
rolling it over (or get another disk).

wais://ih34.hsis.uci.edu/linux?query boolean query ...

ie:

wais://ih34.hsis.uci.edu/linux?scsi and adaptec and eisa

You can get to all these databases and more via either my home page:

http://hornet.mmg.uci.edu/~hjm/hjm.html

or via the SGI database page:

http://hornet.mmg.uci.edu/~hjm/projects/sgi.wais.html

Web/Net Clients:

         Mosaic (wais support builtin for X windows version 2.4 and later)

         Netscape (wais support NOT builtin - have to use a proxy BUT:
            use 128.200.5.34 as a wais proxy, port 80 (but with patience  there
            are some bugs in the proxy code that I'm also trying to work out -
            sometimes it works fine, other times it times out or fails
            completely, due to the default behavior of re-proxying thru
            Switzerland - due to change as soon as I can figure it out.

         Dedicated wais clients such as waissearch, swais, WAIStation,
         Xwais, MacWAIS, WAIS for Mac, WinWAIS, etc, available from
         ftp://ftp.wais.com/pub/freeware
         (I have also built some Linux clients with the freewais dist).

         Gopher - Some gophers also recognize WAIS src files as such and will
         respond appropriately when pointed at them.

Cost is free in return for bug reports and comments....
Cheers
harry
--
Harry J Mangalam, Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, UC Irvine,
      Irvine, CA, 92717, (714) 824-4824, fax (714) 824 8598