Univ. charging $100/mo./person for mainframe access

Candace Krepel ckrepel at post.its.mcw.edu
Fri Mar 3 11:37:25 EST 1995

Bert Gold (gold at astro.ocis.temple.edu) wrote:
: One of the universities where I work has decided to charge $ 100 per
: person per month for mainframe access.  As everyone in these newsgroups
: knows, this kind of access is an absolute requirement for doing
: molecular biology in 1995!

I suspect that the maintenance charges, costs for purchase, upgrade, etc. of
hard- and software are already being passed on to the various departments
as part of the infamous *university overhead*.  If the school is going to
separate out mainframe costs and bill separately, I doubt that the overhead
costs will go down accordingly.

Candy Krepel
ckrepel at post.its.mcw.edu