Linux version of Mapmaker

Tim Cutts tjrc1 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Sun Mar 5 05:12:35 EST 1995

mcclean at PROBLEM_WITH_INEWS_DOMAIN_FILE (Phil McClean) writes:

>[ Article crossposted from bionet.molbio.rapd ]
>[ Author was Phil McClean ]
>[ Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 1995 15:20:24 GMT ]

> Does anyone know if a version of Mapmaker compiled for Linux exists
>anywhere?  If so, please let me know, I would like to get a copy of
>it.

Is the source code freely available?  If so, compiling it yourself
shouldn't be too difficult.  I have compiled large amounts of software
for my Linux machine without too much difficulty.  The problem is that
if Mapmaker is a commercial product, you may find the company
unwilling to port it (despite the fact that Linux almost certainly has
far more users now than many of the commerical PC unices, such as
SCO).

However, all is not lost!  If you can get hold of a SCO binary, you
can try running it under the Linux iBCS kernel module.  Many (but not
all) SCO binaries will run under this, as long as they are statically
linked (so you'd better have plenty of RAM).  I have certainly run the
SCO versions of WordPerfect and Xess3 on my Linux PC that way.

Tim.