More WWW sites (Re: cool and funky WWW site)

ewan birney birney at molbiol.ox.ac.uk
Sat Mar 4 15:03:04 EST 1995

doelz at comp.bioz.unibas.ch (Reinhard Doelz) wrote:

> ewan birney (birney at molbiol.ox.ac.uk) wrote:
>
> : Excuse the gratuitous subject!
>
> done :-)
>
> : I'm trying to write (in spare moments) a CUSI version for
> : biological databases over the web. (?? call it a bioCUSI?)
>
> There is already a really comprehensive collection of sites - all in all,
> 69 databanks at 11 servers. Look at http://www.embl-heidelberg.de/srs/srsc
> (this is Thure Etzold's SRS server system).
>
> The big pain of the biological database arena is that there are so many
> similar and interlinked databases that an individual retrieval is no longer
> the most desirable thing to do. Rather, the INTERLINKING of these data
> is the main issue. Alternatively, COMBINING queries is required - e.g., do
> two searches and get only those which show up as results in both. The
> URL mentioned above (http://www.embl-heidelberg.de/srs/srsc) gets you
> into a database web system which does precisely that. The queries written
> by Ewan have not even half of that functionality - and surely much less
> databases.
>
> Regards
> Reinhard Doelz
>
> --
>  R.Doelz         Klingelbergstr.70| Tel. x41 61 267 2247  Fax x41 61 267 2078|
>  Biocomputing        CH 4056 Basel| electronic Mail    doelz at ubaclu.unibas.ch|
>  Biozentrum der Universitaet Basel|-------------- Switzerland ---------------|

you are right: SRS is a really neat system - interlinking is
crucial - and SRS is the only system that deals with that...

but...

SRS doesn't have archie/CUI_WWW/ other ftp/web indexes (which I
do use)

This little creature can be set up on any site running an http
server and perl: with no overheads. It takes minimal time to
set up and maintain.

this thing can be configured to add in more sites that you yourself
use. I want to get a better "gateway" between the bioCUSI thing and
SRS - but I'm not quite sure how to rig it

SRS can get confusing. (to lesser mortals like me).

CUSI is quite cute - no pancea I'd agree for biological databases
but I think it has its own little contribution to give to the
world.

:)

ewan