wanted: MSwin app for multi-alignment of seqs

Dan Braithwaite dank at river.hwr.arizona.edu
Mon Mar 6 14:39:25 EST 1995

Hello,

I recently bought myself a PC and would like to be able to do
some work at home without running GCG over the modem.

I spent some time looking around the various ftp sites I could
find for an MSwindows application that will allow me to easily
align over 50 sequences at once.  To no avail.

What do people use on the PC as a standalone program for sequence
alignment?

GCG is my package of choice and I am not interested in laying out
any large amounts of money for a big PC package that might do
the alignment work plus umpteen other things I don't particularly
need.

I have used GDE for Xwindows and find it to be fairly good, but I
will settle for any crude app for MSwindows no need for any extras
like computer alignment routines, distance matrix calculations, or
tree making functions.  Is it possible to use a spreadsheet for
this business?

Any and all insight suggestions etc. appreciated.
Thanks,

dan braithwaite, email: dank at hwr.arizona.edu
computer programmer, Dept. of Hydrology
   & Dept. of Microbiology and Immunology, College of Medicine
University of Arizona
Ph: (602) 621-9944, Fax: (602) 621-1422