EMBL/Genbank crossrefs

Dennis Benson dab at ray.nlm.nih.gov
Tue Mar 7 14:01:37 EST 1995

risler at cgmvax.cgm.cnrs-gif.fr wrote:
> Dear colleagues,

> A friend of mine gave me a list of 300 Genbank IDs (IDs, NOT accession
> numbers).

> I'd like to process these sequences. But here we have EMBL, not Genbank.
> And since the IDs are different.....

> Is there a simple way to make the links between EMBL and Genbank IDs, or to
> retrieve the accession numbers of the 300 sequences from their IDs? I don't
> feel like using W3SRS in a server and retrieving manually, one by one, the
300
> accession numbers....

> Thanks for your help,

> Jean-Loup

You could put the IDs in a email message and send to the GenBank e-mail
server at:  retrieve at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

(I assume by IDs, you mean the locus names)

Send a message with the word 'help' first, to get the Help documentation.

But essentially all you should need to do is send something that looks like:

datalib genbank
begin
humgrp78 [loc]
atluglgc [loc]
..
..
..

The '[loc]' is not essential; it limits the search to the locus field so
that some records which may happen to have the locus name referred to in
other parts of the record would be excluded.

You should probably do this in batches of 50-100 query terms so the return
e-mail message is of reasonable size.

Dennis Benson
NCBI