Gene Construction Kit vs Vector NTI (or others)

Martin Lee mlee at genetics.washington.edu
Tue Mar 7 15:13:50 EST 1995

We have access to a Unix based sequence analysis package, (the utterly
user hostile suite of programs from Intelligentics, but lots of features),
and Gene Construction Kit.  We have looked at demos for some high end
programs for the MacIntosh.  Both MacVector and GeneWorks, (the latter
also from Intelligentics), are both very tempting products but horribly
expensive.  The middle range has been filled by a product called Gene
Construction Kit.  It has been pretty satisfactory but for the tragic lack
of the ability to find enzymes that are single-cutters, double-cutters,
etc.  Recently I've seen adds for a product called Vector NTI, which seems
to be a comparable.  Does anyone have any experience with this product?
Any suggestions as to other low cost analysis programs?

I'm new to this corner of the net, it would be very much appreciated if
you could e-mail me your comments at mlee at darwin.washington.edu.

Thanks very much,

     Marty