NIH forms

Kevin Gardner gardner at cadmium.csb.yale.edu
Mon Mar 13 21:39:01 EST 1995

Jerry Learn (learn at u.washington.edu) wrote:
: > NIH templates are available from the University of Washington.
: >
: > They have an anonymus FTP site:  ftp.u.washington.edu
: > Mac files are:  /public/nihtmpl_mac_23.hqx

: They don't appear to be there anymore.

I came across this problem last fall; John Livesey apparently has
moved from UW to the University of the Pacific.  He emailed me
the following revised instructions for what templates are available
and how to get them  (note: they're also available at ftp.bio.indiana.
edu in help/nih-forms and help/nsf-forms):

---begin included message---

> I was pointed to ftp.u.washington.edu (pub/user-supported/templated)
> as a site for NIH grant templates for the Mac and IBM.  Unfortunately,
> I can't seem to locate that directory --- can you offer any information
> as to where that information may have been moved?  Thanks!

The UW has removed my account (understandable, since I dno longer work
there) and with it, my files, including the template files.  I'll
append below information on a backup site established in case this
happened.  Good luck.

Let me know if I can help further.

John
- - - - - - - - - -
Dr. John Livesey

Physiol & Pharmacol, Sch of Pharmacy, Univ of the Pacific, Stockton, CA 95211
209-946-2485 (voice)   <-/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\->      209-946-2485 (fax)
jlivesey at uop.edu    <-/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\->   75540,3454 (CIS)
- - - - - - - - - -

                      Grant Application Templates

PHS 398 Templates have been created by Dr. John Livesey and colleagues
at the University of Washington, Seattle.  These templates are in the
public domain and are available at no cost.  Also through the generosity
and expertise of several grantseekers at other institutions, other template
files are also available.  See below for full details.

Please Note:  I have moved from the University of Washington, Seattle to
the University of the Pacific in Stockton, CA.  The University of Washington
has seen fit to remove my account and with it the files archived on
FTP.U.WASHINGTON.EDU.  Fortunately, a backup archive at the Medical College
of Wisconsin has been made available.  These instructions have been updated
to reflect this new site.  These instructions are current as of 10 Nov 1994.

*** Macintosh Version

  CURRENT STATUS:  Completed for new PHS398 and PHS2590 forms (dated
  9/91) including all pages except page 1 and checklist.  Requires
  Microsoft Word (version 4.0 or 5.0) and Microsoft Excel (version
  2.2 or 3.0).  Instructions are included in a Read Me file.

  AVAILABILITY:
   + Send formatted diskette to the address below.  Please mark
     the disk or enclose a letter specifying the version desired.
   + Anonymous FTP* on FTP.ITS.MCW.EDU in path:
     /pub/grant-forms/nihtmpl_mac_23.hqx.
     You will need a program called Stuff-
     it (shareware; available on many BBSs).  ASCII transfer, de-
     binhex and unstuff-it to retrieve  the templates.

*** Windows Version (for Word/Excel for Windows)

  CURRENT STATUS:  Completed for new PHS398 and PHS2590 forms (dated
  9/91) including all pages except page 1 and checklist.  Requires
  Microsoft Word for Windows (version 2.0) and Microsoft Excel for
  Windows (versions 3.0 or 4.0).  Word and Excel for Windows requires
  Windows version 3.1 or later to run.  Instructions are included in
  a ReadMe file.

  AVAILABILITY:
   + Send formatted diskette to the address below.  Please mark
     the disk or enclose a letter specifying the version desired.
   + Anonymous FTP* on FTP.ITS.MCW.EDU in path:
     /pub/grant-forms/nihwn131.uue or
     /pub/grant-forms/nihwn131.zip.
     You will need a one or two utility programs to convert these
     files into the appropriate template files, depending on
     whether you can reliably perform file transfers in type
     binary (image) or must use  type ASCII (text).
     These utilities are UUDECODE.EXE (used to  convert
     nihwn131.uue to a binary archive file) and/or
     PKUNZIP.EXE  (used to de-compress nihwn131.zip to the individual
     template files);  both are available on many BBS systems or
     consult your local  computer systems manager for information on
     their use.

  NOTE:
   A bug was found in the Word/Excel for Windows version of the
   templates involving the headers on Other Support and Resources
   & Environment sections of the PHS398 form.  A file, named
   WinBug.txt, is available detailing the procedure to fix this
   glitch.  This file is included in the windows file nihwn131.*
   noted above but may be downloaded separately to fix previous
   versions.

*** WordPerfect Version (for WordPerfect for Windows)

  CURRENT STATUS:  Completed for PHS398 (only) forms (dated
  9/91) for new and competing continuation grants, including all
  pages except page 1 and checklist.  Requires WordPerfect for
  Windows and Lotus 1-2-3 for the budget pages.
  Instructions are included in a ReadMe file.  This version is
  courtesy of Dr. Mark Dibner-Dunlap at Case Western Reserve
  University.

  AVAILABILITY:
   + Send formatted diskette to the address below.  Please mark
     the disk or enclose a letter specifying the version desired.
   + Anonymous FTP* on FTP.ITS.MCW.EDU in path:
     /pub/grant-forms/nihwp11.uue or
     /pub/grant-forms/nihwp11.zip.
     You will need a one or two utility programs to convert these
     files into the appropriate template files, depending on
     whether you can reliably perform file transfers in type
     binary (image) or must use  type ASCII (text).
     These utilities are UUDECODE.EXE (used to  convert
     nihwp11.uue to a binary archive file) and/or
     PKUNZIP.EXE  (used to de-compress nihwp11.zip to the individual
     template files);  both are available on many BBS systems or
     consult your local  computer systems manager for information
     on their use.

Other Files Available:

Files are also available for several other grant applications and for
other wordprocessing or spreadsheet programs.  Many of these files have
been contributed by generous grantseekers throughout the United States.
See the README_TEMPLATES.txt file at FTP.ITS.MCW.EDU in the
/pub/grant-forms directory for a complete description of
the files listed above and below:

File Name              Form                Platform/Program         Transfer
--------------------   ------------------  -----------------------  --------
nsf_tmpl_mac_0294.hqx  NSF GPG (new)       Macintosh/MS-Word&Excel  Text
nsftmpl_mac_old.hqx    NSF GRESE (old)     Macintosh/MS-Word&Excel  Text
nihqp11.zip            NIH-PHS398 Budgets  Windows/QuattroPro       Binary
nihqp11.uue            NIH-PHS398 Budgets  Windows/QuattroPro       Text
nih_nrsa_mac_10.hqx    NIH-PHS416-1        Macintosh/MS-Word        Text
army_ro_mac_v1.hqx     51, 52A, SF1411     Macintosh/MS-Word&Excel  Text
armyWWv1.zip           51, 52A, SF1411     WinWord/WinExcel         Binary
armyWWv1.uue           51, 52A, SF1411     WinWord/WinExcel         Text

* Anonymous FTP is a form of file transfer which is by far the fastest
and easiest way to retrieve these files.  Contact your site's computer
support personnel for information on performing these transfers.

Requirements for Disk Access:

  We have no funds for Disk purchase nor for postage.  Therefore,
send a single formatted 3.5 inch disk (marked either DOS or MAC) or a
5.25 inch DOS disk and a self-addressed disk mailer with adequate
return postage to:

                      Dr. John Livesey
                      School of Pharmacy
                      University of the Pacific
                      Stockton, CA  95211

Please allow several weeks processing time to make copies onto your
disk(s).  By all means, do not send me a disk two weeks before the
deadline at NIH - the templates won't help you that much and I may not
know the urgency of your situation.

SUPPORT / QUESTIONS

These templates are provided without warranty or support of any kind. NIH
has not sanctioned their use but our research group has used previous
versions of these templates for years with success.  See the README file
for details.  For information, contact Dr. Livesey at 209-946-2487 or by
Electronic mail (preferred) at jlivesey at uop.edu (internet).

If you have Electronic mail, send a message to Dr. Livesey at one of
the addresses above and your Email address will be added to our
mailing list to receive notices of updates when they become available.
Since no profit is made on the distribution of these files, only this
"free" means of communication will be used for distributing information
about updates.

- - - - - - - - - -

How to Retrieve Template Files On-Line:

Your network connection determines the method for retrieving
files from sites on the National networks.  If you are
unsure of the network connection of your computer, consult
your system manager or computer support personnel for more
detailed instructions than can be provided here.

Section 1:     Direct Internet Access.

For those having direct Internet connections, use programs
such as Telnet (in FTP mode), Fetch, XferIt, WINQVT, etc.
For those having only E-mail connections or BITnet access
see Section 2 below:

  1.  Establish a link with host FTP.ITS.MCW.EDU

  2.  When prompted for Username, respond anonymous

  3.  When prompted for Password, respond with your
       username at node.domain, filling in username with your
       username on your local host and node.domain with
       your Internet machine name.

  4.  You will be connected to the root directory.  Change
       to the /pub/grant-forms directory with
       the appropriate change_directory command for your software.

  For Macintosh users, proceed as follows.  (Windows users
       skip to Step 11)

  5.  GET the file nihtmpl_mac_###.hqx  Choose the file
       with the highest ### as that will be the latest
       version of the templates. (currently, 23)

  6.  Close the connection by issuing the quit command
       after file transfer is completed.

  7.  If FTPing from a local host (minicomputer or
       mainframe), transfer the file to your Macintosh with
       appropriate communication links.

  8.  Run Stuff-it (Classic, Deluxe, or 1.5.1).  Choose
       "Decode Binhex file" from the appropriate menu and
       select the nihtmpl_mac_###.hqx file you just
       downloaded.

  9.  Open the resulting Stuff-it Archive
       (nihtmpl_mac_###.sit) and uncompress all files.

  10.  Read or print the ReadMe file which explains more
       about the use of these templates.

  For Windows users, proceed as follows:

  11.  GET the file nihwn###.uue, where ### is the highest
       number available.  This is the latest version of the
       Word/Excel for Windows templates. (currently 131).
       Also GET WinBug.txt for information on fixing a
       glitch in the files.

       ** or **

       GET the file nihwp###.uue, where ### is the highest
       number available.  This is the latest version of the
       WordPerfect for Windows templates. (currently 11).

  12.  Issue the quit command to close the connection after
       the file is transferred.

  13.  If FTPing from a local host (minicomputer or
       mainframe), transfer the file to your PC with
       appropriate communication links.  You should have
       the file requested in the target directory for your
       communications program.

  14.  Exit to the DOS prompt (either to DOS shell or exit
       windows).

  15.  Copy the program UUDECODE.EXE to the directory
       containing nihwn###.uue or nihwp###.uue (where your
       communication software placed this file).  Of course,
       the reverse of these copy commands can also be issued
       (copy the relevant files to a directory containing the
       utility programs required).

  16.  At the DOS prompt, issue the command uudecode
       nihwn###.uue  or nihwp###.uue replacing ### with the
       numbers in this version of the template file.  The
       computer should pause and then return the DOS prompt.
       List the directory (C:\dir)to determine that the program
       correctly decoded the uue file.  A new file should
       have appeared named nihwn###.zip or nihwp###.zip.

  17.  Copy PKUNZIP.EXE (some files require version 2.04g of
       PKUNZIP.EXE to correctly decompress) to the directory
       containing the newly decoded archive file.  Execute the
       following command: pkunzip nihwn###.zip or nihwp###.zip.
       The program should show file names being "exploded" and
       then finish in a few seconds.  Again list the directory
       to verify the creation of the following files:

       For Word/Excel for Windows:
               READMEPC.DOC        ENTBUDGT.XLS
               NEWTEMP.DOC         FIRSTBUDG.XLS
               NONCOMP.DOC         NEXTBUDG.XLS

       For WordPerfect for Windows:
               NIH398.WP           BUDGFRM.FM3
               README.PRN          BUDGFRM.WK3

  18.  Launch your wordprocessor and read or print the
       README file for information on use of these
       templates.  If you have the Word/Excel version, read and
       follow the information in WinBug.txt to correct the glitch
       found in the PHS398 template.

Section 2: Gopher Access

Gopher access is temporarily unavailable whle the links to the archive
at Medical College of Wisconsin are established.

Section 3: BITnet connections or E-mail only.

For Network connections having no direct FTP capabilities,
you must retrieve files by E-mail.  This can be accomplished
with FTP-by-mail gateways at two sites.  For those having
BITnet access only, send e-mail to BITFTP at PUCC with no
subject and the following message text:

For Macintosh users:

     FTP ftp.its.mcw.edu
     USER anonymous
     CD /pub/grant-forms
     ASCII
     GET nihtmpl_mac_23.hqx
     QUIT

For Word/Excel for Windows Users:

     FTP ftp.its.mcw.edu
     USER anonymous
     CD /pub/grant-forms
     ASCII
     GET nihwn131.uue
     QUIT

For WordPerfect for Windows Users:

     FTP ftp.its.mcw.edu
     USER anonymous
     CD /pub/grant-forms
     ASCII
     GET nihwp11.uue
     QUIT

For those at non-BITnet or Internet/BITnet sites that cannot
directly FTP, send e-mail to FTPMAIL at decwrl.dec.com with no
subject and the following message text:

For Macintosh Users:

     reply your_correct_complete_mail_address_here
     connect ftp.its.mcw.edu
     chdir /pub/grant-forms
     ascii
     get nihtmpl_mac_23.hqx
     quit

For Word/Excel for Windows Users:

     reply your_correct_complete_mail_address_here
     connect ftp.its.mcw.edu
     chdir /pub/grant-forms
     ascii
     get nihwn131.uue
     quit

For WordPerfect for Windows Users:

     reply your_correct_complete_mail_address_here
     connect ftp.its.mcw.edu
     chdir /pub/grant-forms
     ascii
     get nihwp11.uue
     quit

The files listed here are the most recent versions of the
templates as of this writing (November 10, 1994)  As newer
versions are posted, these numbers will change, but these
versions will be maintained for anyone who has this document
and cannot retrieve the directory of ftp.its.mcw.edu.

The transfer may take a day or two (the FTP-by-mail gateways
can be overloaded now and then).  When the mail message
appears on the computer on which you normally receive e-
mail, transfer its contents into a file and download the
file into your personal computer.  Then follow the
instructions given above (step 8 for Mac, step 14 for
Windows) for extracting the template files into WordProcessor
and spreadsheet documents.

*** END OF INSTRUCTIONS

-----end included message-----
Kevin Gardner			                      Glu-Leu-Val-Ile-Ser
Yale University            Dept. of Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry
Internet: gardner at zinc.csb.yale.edu               Bitnet: gardner at yalemed